free website stats program Bad ECM ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad ECM ????

Dream_Rider

Hi Folks,

I did something stupid but only to find out after it was too late. I have a 2000 Road King with a Magnet Marell ECM PN 32423-99. I went to add a supplementary 12 volt power source (the cigarette lighter) so I could hook up my GPS.

I followed the directions but here is were the mistake was made....The actual accessory plug was not under the seat as it should have been. So the only plug that matched and not being used was connected to the lighter adapter.

When I plugged in the GPS, I noticed it was not charging. The power adapter is good since I user it in the car all the time. So I disconnected it and then began looking at the service manual. I (EDIT) near cried when I found out that the un-used plug turned out to be the Data Link Connector.

After removing the battery, I found the accessory adapter buried in the frame. But it was too late. The bike will not start :( It cranks but will not turn over as if it has no fuel. The bike has VH slip-on pipes and a VH fuel pack and I unplugged that and it still would not start.

Did I kill the ECM ???

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Check ALL your fuses. Your service manual shows the location. My '07 has some left and right sides. The ones on the right are sort of hidden behind some wires, and are the fuel pump and ECM power. You should be lucky and only blown a fuse.

Agree with Breeze, The ECM should be protected by a fuse, start checking there first

Thank You !

It turned out to be a fuse. However....after looking at the service manual, the photo showing the fuses were with the EFI relay. So I tore everything apart looking for it....lol Found out by removing a cover off of a thin connector that was attached to the ECM cover, there were 2 fuses. The 15amp fuse was blown.

One replaced...the bike started right up...WoooooHooooo.

For a newbie....trying to do something's on your own are okay. But others are left to those who know what they are doing. But then how are we supposed to learn?

This mistake could have been costly. The $90\hr fee for the service and I could have been told by the dealer that the ECM need to be replaced. So probably $600-$900 could have been spent. UGH!

Thank You and Thank God for sites like this :)

Thank You !

It turned out to be a fuse. However....after looking at the service manual, the photo showing the fuses were with the EFI relay. So I tore everything apart looking for it....lol Found out by removing a cover off of a thin connector that was attached to the ECM cover, there were 2 fuses. The 15amp fuse was blown.

One replaced...the bike started right up...WoooooHooooo.

For a newbie....trying to do something's on your own are okay. But others are left to those who know what they are doing. But then how are we supposed to learn?

This mistake could have been costly. The $90\hr fee for the service and I could have been told by the dealer that the ECM need to be replaced. So probably $600-$900 could have been spent. UGH!

Thank You and Thank God for sites like this :)

Cool Beans, do you have a service manual? If not I would buy 1 ride safe:s

Glad you found the problem, and it was small. Keep coming back, there's lots you can learn, and there's some good people here.

Glad it turned out to be something fairly simple and inexpensive.

Isn't this place amazing? :D

That's awesome it was an easy fix. Keep an eye out to make sure that fuse didn't blow due to a persistent electrical issue due to the GPS

Back