free website stats program Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck!

My good friend was out for a ride last Saturday on my bike with a group, and somehow managed to put it down at about 70 mph against a freeway divider concrete wall. He was wearing a full body riding suit and helmet fortunately, so the good news is he has nothing broken or missing. He scraped his left knee badly and is in hospital recovering, heavily doped up with pain killers. He will apparently need some plastic surgery after a while, but is expected to make a full recovery, thank God.

Sadly the bike is a different story. I have only seen a couple of pictures, but it is badly mangled. Looks like it went down on the left side initially, then flipped over and slid across the freeway, and wound up on the other side of the driving lanes. Most everything looks bent or broken. No doubt a write off, and since there I had no collision coverage, it will be a total loss. I imagine the frame is likely bent as well. Looks like the front forks etc are trashed. Too bad, since it was running just great and looking real good as well. Such is life.
When I first spoke with my friend on the phone after the accident on Sunday, he was very upset that he had wrecked the bike, and he has no idea exactly what happened or why it went down. I consoled him as best I could, that it is only a replaceable machine, and that his recovery and well-being are way more important. It could have ended very much worse.
Here is where it will get hard for you, You have a friend that used your bike. Unless he is on your insurance then he is responsible for the replacement of your bike and therefore you should file a claim against his insurance.

It is good to here that your friend has suffered only minor injury coming off a bike at 70 can be very serious wearing appropriate clothing I am sure helped and luck may have been on his side
I am sorry for the loss of your bike we all at times suffer set backs in life getting through these troubled times is what makes us stronger

Brian

Hope Your friend recovers quickly.Losing Your bike is a different thing.Sad day for everyone!

Boy, sure hate to hear that. Happy like everyone else.... your friend survived what sounds like a bad wreck and will be okay.

Thanks for all the kind and understanding words all.
I should add here that this fellow is more than a casual friend. We have known each other since grade 10; some 55 years now.
We have both been riding bikes forever, so it is not like he is an inexperienced rider. That makes the whole incident that much harder to understand.
He is kind enough to allow me to store the bike in his garage in Phoenix during the summer when we have all gone home up north, so I feel that letting him ride it a few times when I am not there is the right thing to do. He is a very responsible guy so I am sure we will come up with some suitable repair or replacement plan once he is back on his feet. Meanwhile today we got the bike remains hauled out of the impound lot and over to his garage, where I will get a rep from the local Harley dealership to come over and assess the damage and give us an estimate, if its even worth fixing. Time will tell. ;)

Meanwhile today we got the bike remains hauled out of the impound lot and over to his garage, where I will get a rep from the local Harley dealership to come over and assess the damage and give us an estimate, if its even worth fixing. Time will tell. ;)

My '12 UC that had been hit from the left rear by a cage driver ended up costing the insurance company $14K to repair back to original conditions by Kingwood HD. Would have been cheaper to do myself, but would have taken a long time working at it part-time.

Cheers,

TQ

Rod; Sorry for the loss of your bike, glad that your friend is ok. I hope you get another bike soon, I enjoy problem solving with you.

I should add here that this fellow is more than a casual friend. We have known each other since grade 10; some 55 years now.
We have both been riding bikes forever, so it is not like he is an inexperienced rider. That makes the whole incident that much harder to understand.
He is kind enough to allow me to store the bike in his garage in Phoenix during the summer when we have all gone home up north, so I feel that letting him ride it a few times when I am not there is the right thing to do. He is a very responsible guy so I am sure we will come up with some suitable repair or replacement plan once he is back on his feet. Meanwhile today we got the bike remains hauled out of the impound lot and over to his garage, where I will get a rep from the local Harley dealership to come over and assess the damage and give us an estimate, if its even worth fixing. Time will tell. ;)
This is a very difficult situation for you, and he was like a brother to you. I have an extra motorcycle and have told my buddies that if they want to go on a trip with the group that they could ride but now after reading about this event it really hits home to doubt my decision. I will say that you can buy insurance in 3 or 6 month increments and it would probably be cheaper for full coverage than just liability for an entire year. I have shelter insurance and they will cover any licensed rider with full coverage on the bike. Sorry for the loss and hope the friendship endures this.

God speed for his recovery and hope y'all get up and riding soon!

Back