free website stats program Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Day; Lost My '07 RoadKing In a Freeway Wreck!

Rod Stewart

My good friend was out for a ride last Saturday on my bike with a group, and somehow managed to put it down at about 70 mph against a freeway divider concrete wall. He was wearing a full body riding suit and helmet fortunately, so the good news is he has nothing broken or missing. He scraped his left knee badly and is in hospital recovering, heavily doped up with pain killers. He will apparently need some plastic surgery after a while, but is expected to make a full recovery, thank God.

Sadly the bike is a different story. I have only seen a couple of pictures, but it is badly mangled. Looks like it went down on the left side initially, then flipped over and slid across the freeway, and wound up on the other side of the driving lanes. Most everything looks bent or broken. No doubt a write off, and since there I had no collision coverage, it will be a total loss. I imagine the frame is likely bent as well. Looks like the front forks etc are trashed. Too bad, since it was running just great and looking real good as well. Such is life.
When I first spoke with my friend on the phone after the accident on Sunday, he was very upset that he had wrecked the bike, and he has no idea exactly what happened or why it went down. I consoled him as best I could, that it is only a replaceable machine, and that his recovery and well-being are way more important. It could have ended very much worse.

Sorry to hear about your friends accident. The silver lining is that he was properly dressed and only sustained minor injuries. As you said the bike came be replaced but his confidence and pride must mend also. Constant support will be great medicine for him..;)

Sorry to hear about your friends accident. The silver lining is that he was properly dressed and only sustained minor injuries. As you said the bike came be replaced but his confidence and pride must mend also. Constant support will be great medicine for him..;)
Amen dbmg and man, sorry to hear about the bike loss Rod. Thank GOD your friend will be OK and he has an understanding friend like You.

Having just been through another accident last November where I was hit from behind by a cage driver, I sympathize with your sense of loss. In my case, I had just barley gotten rolling from a STOP sign when the car plowed into the left rear saddle bag. Very glad to see that your buddy is mostly OK. Very sorry about the bike though.

Cheers,

TQ

Glad your friend is around to talk about it, could have been much worse. You're obviously a good friend Rod to let him take it. Not that this couldn't happen to anyone but NO one other than my brothers ride my scoot.

Last edited:
So glad about your friend and sorry about the bike. Just a thought you might have your friend check his auto insurance to see if it might cover another vehicle. The old biker rule of thumb use to be never lend your wife or your bike to a friend, they won't come back in the same shape.

I'm sorry to hear bout your friend and your bike. He was extremely lucky to have not been killed.

Rod does your insurance have a clause that covers machine if another licensed driver is riding your bike?

Back