free website stats program Bad coil??? I hope! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad coil??? I hope!

I think you should list the syptoms one more time. Before spending the money on any parts. I think I know them, but there has been a couple threads.

Is this right ?:

The Bike will start and run on one cylinder.

Will run on both cylinders if the rear plug boot is help a short distance from the plug.

The coil ohms out good.

You have new plug wires and plugs

You will find the problem, the knowledge here is unbelievable.

Hey, thanks so much for the picture Glider, that helped tremendously. I ran home real quick, (slow day at work) and pulled it off, and there is a small metal magnetic circle. So if I understand Bubbie, that should be a smooth plastic piece right. Well, does this mean that should be the problem? Boy, I tried tracing the wires back, and they weave in and out all the way back to under the seat. What do they connect to? I'm going to go back and read through the posts, I can't remember if Bubbie told me or not. I changed screens now, so I'll take a peak.

So what about the coil? Can we rule out the coil? On a post I got from someone else, he said that just the ohmetric reading was not enough. I don't have money for both, and I'd like to get it in just one shot. Whaddaya think?

Oh Boy, now i got my feet wet!
I still think it to be the CPS after looking thru all the previous post and that is Just my guess....
My bad sensor was worn at the end like I stated, seeing the little circle of metal on the sensor end... You said you could see it on yours also...

I do remember that the ends on the new ones (separate times) i bought to replace, You couldn't see that metal circle on the New parts.... It was just smooth black with No metal showing... It might be a change (for the good) on that part, i don't know. I was told way back when I first bot my bike and had problems that the cps were a known problem, and failed often... The first one was covered under warranty...

If you could find a diagram on the net to show your bike and where it connected, that would be great... Then you could take it loose and out. The wires did run thru a harness on my bike and were tight to remove, I had to cut a couple of tie straps down on the center tube where the harness came up and thru.
I did by-passed the harness on the new cps..

As from our many PMs on this, the phone picts wont work from me.
Hope more knowledge is coming here to help you...

I don't think your coil is bad.JMO

signed....BUBBIE

You are spot on Jonas. The only thing I would add is that it eventually quit running at all. It seems like I could get it to start if I then pulled the front plug wire off, and let it jump the arc. With the plug wires on, it won't start at all.

I'm all ears, if I got to the bank account, I want to make it worth while. I am trying to build a shop at my house, and I have limited funds....very limited. Whatever I spend on the bike will be that much less I have to spend on the shop. Know what I mean?

I'm a little confused about how to test the sensor. I read the bit on it from the link you gave me. It worked by the way. I am trying to understand it, but I'm not too sure what it all means. Can anyone give me some easy pointers to try. I'm learning, but I'm just not there yet.

Bubbster, that link works here...Too many pork chops? :lolrolling

Now how could you tell the "Too many pork chops ?"
(I cooked dinner other night)

"Warning to other members here" as Glider said to me once, not long ago... (imagine all red in caps please ! signed.... sissy)

.............."I see all".......

since then, I put a piece of masking tape over my web cam just in case he wasn't Woofin!

signed....BUBBIE the sissy!

I just wanted to follow up on our talk about sensors. I got home from work, and pulled the sensor off again to take a closer look at it. It really doesn't look like anything is worn off. It just looks like it is supposed to be like that. The picture that Glider posted was very helpful, and you're right, that one looks as if it has a plastic coating. I just wanted to tell you that I looked a little closer, and that is what I found.

I wondered if you put it back together and Try to start it.... It may toss a code this time.. Hopefully... I'm hanging on to the CPSensor as bad.

signed....BUBBIEBOOBSTER and worse, the sissy.... not my words!

Back