free website stats program Bad coil??? I hope! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad coil??? I hope!

Bubbie....I'm working with no manual here, can you tell me where to look for the ckp sensor? What is it connected to? Anything? I'm flying blind.

Jonas - I'm not exactly sure where to look for your post on the power commander. I will look around, but if you can help me I would appreciate it. I can't get the test light to show, but I think I am getting voltage to the front and rear. I think this because when everything is hooked up, I can crank it, and watch the arc jump from plug wire to the plug. It will also run on just the front cylinder. If I pull the cap from the back cylinder it will run on both. I am told this is increasing the dwell, and that's why it will run on both cylinders.

Sorry, I think I gave you bad advice. Is your bike fuel injected or carb? If carb then you do not have a Power Commander.

It has a carb. Well that makes me feel good as far as not finding it. What do you know about the ignition. Any way of checking that, because I'm about out of ways to check the coil. I don't have the equipment to check further than an ohm meter. I don't really want to buy another coil yet on the chance that it might be bad. But I'm just not sure what to do now.

It has a carb. Well that makes me feel good as far as not finding it. What do you know about the ignition. Any way of checking that, because I'm about out of ways to check the coil. I don't have the equipment to check further than an ohm meter. I don't really want to buy another coil yet on the chance that it might be bad. But I'm just not sure what to do now.

I do not know very much about the ignition module. Do you have a friend with a similiar bike to try the coil? Maybe ebay for a cheap one.

Guy, I didn't go back and re-read all the post.

Have you consider it to be the CPS crank position sensor? On my 2000, I had a couple go bad. The first thing one did was, when stopped to eat lunch and returning to start bike(160 mi. from home), it started then dies started then died, then Nothing quit running, no start at all... I would pull the spark plugs and ground the plug to fire but nothing. Even grabed the plug wire, no bite there..
From what i have followed here I would bet it is the cps just from my problems i had on my older bike... I did suggest this a few post back but you were busy! take another look and see, it is an easy fix and cps were a problem on the 00 and yours has the same CPS.. mine cost about 60$ if i remember right.
I went thru all the things you are doing to no avail! It was the cps and I Thought the coil and was Told the coil from others but NO it was the CPS.

hope you can give this a Look. Mine did have a shinny rubbed off end where you could see a very small dot piece of metal Now on the other one that went bad, I saw nothing out of the normal. Jut your symptoms all the way.

signed....BUBBIE

Missed your post! the CPS is the black plug in device in front of the oil filter

Last edited:
Bubbie, I did read your post on checking the sensor, but I have no idea where it is, or what it looks like? Can you help me out? Remember, I am attacking this thing without a manual.

Thanks!

Hey, thanks so much for the picture Glider, that helped tremendously. I ran home real quick, (slow day at work) and pulled it off, and there is a small metal magnetic circle. So if I understand Bubbie, that should be a smooth plastic piece right. Well, does this mean that should be the problem? Boy, I tried tracing the wires back, and they weave in and out all the way back to under the seat. What do they connect to? I'm going to go back and read through the posts, I can't remember if Bubbie told me or not. I changed screens now, so I'll take a peak.

So what about the coil? Can we rule out the coil? On a post I got from someone else, he said that just the ohmetric reading was not enough. I don't have money for both, and I'd like to get it in just one shot. Whaddaya think?

Back