free website stats program Bad battery? | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad battery?

BikeSAG

Backed the Heritage out of the garage for a Memorial Day ride with the wife and I hear, click, click, click, click..... won't turn over. Bummer. I put it back on the battery tender and I get the green light after a few minutes. Battery only 3 years-old but guess it's bad.

I'll get one tomorrow unless this could be another problem, any thoughts?

Anything special when I hook up the new one regarding engine codes?

You can have the battery tested prior to replacing. Most places do it at no charge. 3 years is about average for a MC battery unless maintained properly. I have seen battery's maintained last only a few years as well.

I would say 3 years is awfully short...has the battery ever been discharged til "dead" one or more times during it's 3 year life? The other thing is to double check ALL the high current cables, the skinny starter wire, and all the fuse and connector contacts for "white fur" (corrosion). Clean with electronic control cleaner or Brakleen non chlorinated and coat with dielectric grease. Simple, solution, a bit time consuming, but could get you on the road quickly.

Last edited:
I have a 97 RK. I replaced the battery 6 years ago with a dry cell from the local Harley shop. I had it tested in April and it is still 97%. The bike stays in a tempature controlled enviroment except when riding. I think this has had a lot to do with it.

Newer H D batteries are holding up longer , I tell all the customers at Sears to buy the OEM HD battery over the Die Hard have never had more than 1 year out of that battery and I get a discount LOL:D

The " Die Hard" used to be the top of the heap as far as batteries go but lately I've seen a lot of them failing early on in their life.

Before I spent money on a new battery, I would have it load tested 1st. If it test OK then I would check & clean all connections in the start circuit. Also if you can get to it, I've seen cables corrode from the inside. With bike in confirmed neutral try starting again & feel cables...Positive & negetive for Heat while starting... IF you are getting heat, then check that cable for corrosion & replace it. Also check in fuse compartment around fuses for the "white Fuzz"...that's corrosion too. Clean & be sure to use die-electric grease on your connections... Good Luck.

Back