free website stats program Bad Alignment? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bad Alignment?

Do the trig on what .030" of axle shift does to tire alinement and pulley shift and you will be surprised.

Right !!! Trig :D

Only reason I bring it up is because of what I found on my bike when I purchased it brand new. I could watch the belt track fully right or fully left when rotating the rear tire. It would take just 2-3 turns of the rear pulley and the belt would be hugging a lip to the point that I would hear belt noise.

The service manual did say the rear axle should be adjusted to within .030" of each side.

I came up with a very accurate way to aline my rear axle to within a few thousands. From the factory my axle was off the full allowable .030".

I then alined the rear axle to within .005" and it made a huge difference in belt tracking. I just wanted to see how close I could get it to perfect and what effect it would have on belt tracking.

Do the trig on what .030" of axle shift does to tire alinement and pulley shift and you will be surprised. I was.
How in the world are you able to measure alignment to those tolerances?

Enjoy,
Rich P

How in the world are you able to measure alignment to those tolerances?

It only works on bikes that use hollow rear axles & have the (2) factory alinement reference holes in the rear swing arms. My '09 Dyna has both. I have posted the setup I use & will see if I can find and reference it.

Just got back. Had a couple of recreational beverages after we looked at everything. I took the guage and jack just in case. It was out a little according to the guage. Now as I turn the wheel forward there's about enough room to slip the lip of a belt tensioning tool on both sides of the belt at the rear pulley. Turn it backward it barely moves in.

Trig?..........been too many years since I needed that but I do understand the geometry of what's going on. Thanks to all. :cheers

Back