free website stats program Backroad Suggestions from AL to CO? | Harley Davidson Forums

Backroad Suggestions from AL to CO?

ChiroRick

I'm planning a 9 day solo road trip from Birmingham, AL to Denver, CO.

I'm looking for some route suggestions that would get me there via backroads and some interstate. I'd say maybe about 65% backroads and 35% superslab. Maybe 60/40.

I've got 2 options for this trip.

Option #1: Put the bike on the back of the truck, and drive a little more than halfway there (maybe 750 miles) I can knock that out in a day. Park the truck, take the bike from there to Denver (1.5 days), ride around the rockies, and south of there (Rio Grande) for 3-4 days, then head back to the truck, pack the bike up, and head home.

Option #2: Ride the bike from Birmingham, AL to Denver CO. It'll take at least 3 days to ride there, if I cover about 450 miles per day. I've done long trips before, and am not afraid to spend time in the saddle. My biggest concern, is that if I don't find some nice roads to ride out there, I'll just be ticking off miles. I also DO NOT want to superslab it most of the way to save time. That'll ruin the trip! I'd prefer to ride, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time. I don't want to ride there, have 1 day of riding, then have to turn back.

I've learned that half the fun is getting there, but if the roads aren't enjoyable, it won't be any fun.

Another way would be to superslab it out there, ride some beautiful roads and take some back roads back, or ride the back roads out there find some great riding and superslab it home. Whatever you choose to do ride safe.

If it was me, I would probably trailor most of the hard miles by interstate to Co. then ride the bike through the mountains as many days as possible, then load up and interstate home.

Once in Colorado, if you can, make the run from Ouray(sp) to Durango. The Million Dollar Hwy. Awesome views.

Once in Colorado, if you can, make the run from Ouray(sp) to Durango. The Million Dollar Hwy. Awesome views.

+1 on the Million Dollar Hwy, also the other side of the mountain Co 145 from Ridgeway to Dolores.
As far as getting there, if your time is limited, do the truck and spend the time riding Co.

I'm planning a 9 day solo road trip from Birmingham, AL to Denver, CO.

I'm looking for some route suggestions that would get me there via backroads and some interstate. I'd say maybe about 65% backroads and 35% superslab. Maybe 60/40.

I've got 2 options for this trip.

Option #1: Put the bike on the back of the truck, and drive a little more than halfway there (maybe 750 miles) I can knock that out in a day. Park the truck, take the bike from there to Denver (1.5 days), ride around the rockies, and south of there (Rio Grande) for 3-4 days, then head back to the truck, pack the bike up, and head home.

Option #2: Ride the bike from Birmingham, AL to Denver CO. It'll take at least 3 days to ride there, if I cover about 450 miles per day. I've done long trips before, and am not afraid to spend time in the saddle. My biggest concern, is that if I don't find some nice roads to ride out there, I'll just be ticking off miles. I also DO NOT want to superslab it most of the way to save time. That'll ruin the trip! I'd prefer to ride, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time. I don't want to ride there, have 1 day of riding, then have to turn back.

I've learned that half the fun is getting there, but if the roads aren't enjoyable, it won't be any fun.

option 3...which is the way i like to go. find a road that looks good and is headed in the general direction and take it....:D that is how Craig and i made it to Saltsprings and back...and it was great...:D

Back