free website stats program backfires on deceleration | Harley Davidson Forums

backfires on deceleration

royb1953

about 2 weeks ago, I noticed my fatboy backfiring when changing gears or when throttling down to slow. any ideas on why? I have 40 K miles on her, but have changed the spark plugs about 6 months ago.

Last edited:
would taking the air filter out of the cleaner lean it down too much and cause this? the filter was taken out due to being very dirty, another filter ordered but hasnt come in yet.

ok, thanks!!! now another question for you... when I slow down, if I take my hands off the handlebars, I get quite a shimmy unless I put my hands back on the bars. too much play in the head bearings?

Sorry to hijack this discussion but I am having the same problem. 2005 Softail. Only mod is a K&N air filter. How do you check for exhaust leaks?

Sorry to hijack this discussion but I am having the same problem. 2005 Softail. Only mod is a K&N air filter. How do you check for exhaust leaks?

Put on some gloves and cover the exhaust outlets and listen for a hissing from the pipes and around the cylinders.

Did the glove thing and there seems to be no exhaust leak. I dont wanna keep it covered to long. I also sprayed wd40 around the carb and intake and there was no noticable increase in the rpm. Any other ideas????

Did the glove thing and there seems to be no exhaust leak. I dont wanna keep it covered to long. I also sprayed wd40 around the carb and intake and there was no noticable increase in the rpm. Any other ideas????
did the backfiring just start recently or has it always had the problem?

Back