free website stats program Backfire or Decel Popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfire or Decel Popping

J

Jack Klarich

GOT BACKFIRING?

Backfiring in the exhaust system of your motorcycle is created by the same three necessary elements for combustion inside the engine; oxygen, fuel and ignition. Because the heat of the exhaust will supply the ignition, let's discuss the other two. The backfiring during acceleration is a serious engine related (cam timing, bad valve seat seal, etc.) problem and can not be fixed with air/fuel mixture changes.

only occasionally on deceleration,on an FLHX.Not so far on the FXDWG.Though it has hiccuped after first starting.

I was messing around with idle@temp settings in my FP3 this morning (knowing that I can go back to a good flash after manually messing up the map) and got backfire when the engine was cold and accelerating. I had set the bike to idle too slow at too low a temp. 1100 @ 75 degrees (f). I wish I knew more about manually adjusting the tuning but I'm gonna stick to the AutoMap or V&H PreBuilt maps unless / until I do.

If you can set timing each cylinder u r way ahead of the game

If you can set timing each cylinder u r way ahead of the game
However JMO f you have too lean you will still have some decel popping due to un burn gas and or a leak in system, my M8 with baffles knocked out does not pop, maybe cuz each cylinder has its own knock sensor like your car does a big change for the better IMO

I have been noticing as of late my 08 EG on decal has been popping more and more over time. Its all stock and runs strong, so I attribute it to the mufflers packing burning out.

I have been noticing as of late my 08 EG on decal has been popping more and more over time. Its all stock and runs strong, so I attribute it to the mufflers packing burning out.

Have you checked the exhaust for leaks? My 08 gets loose from time to time, re-torque of the flange nuts helps out.

Back