free website stats program Backfire issue when starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfire issue when starting

Trapshooter

My wife has a 2007 Heritage Softail and about everyother time she starts it it backfires thru the air cleaner. This bike has had the air cleaner opened up and does have a V&H fuel pack installed. I talked to them to see if there was something going on with the settings and they said "no". It also makes a terrible cluking noise when she starts it.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Does it run alright otherwise? Does it run hot? Any coughing after the start? Any other issues may help in the diagnosis.

Does it run alright otherwise? Does it run hot? Any coughing after the start? Any other issues may help in the diagnosis.

It runs just fine after it starts and is not running hot. But, I'm not the one on it either but when I asked her about it she said it is not hot like my bike was before the EJK was installed. So, I'm sayin no.

I'm thinking an exhaust leak first then the settings. When the exhaust is cold it would tend to leak more than hot because of expansion. Start it and take a rag or glove and cover the exhaust momentarily and see if you hear leaks upstream. If not, I'm going with a lean setting.
Also check the intake for leaks with wd40 or carb cleaner while its running.

It also makes a terrible cluking noise when she starts it. (Quote)

That is the original equiptment Compensator... Consider the SE upgrade.

Good point about the exhaust leak. The PO had the exhaust off before we bought it. Took off the V&H pipes and put the stock set up back on. If I was a betting man.....

Thanks, I will check it out and let you all know.

Sometimes those gaskets at the head can be tricky and dont seat right. Even the joints can come loose, so check it over good.

Sometimes those gaskets at the head can be tricky and dont seat right. Even the joints can come loose, so check it over good.

Well, I checked it over pretty good. No exhaust leak that I can find. Checked the intake with WD-40, nothing. I think the best thing may be to repalce the gaskets you speak of and see what happens. Sure can't hurt anything I guess.

Well that didn't help. Still backfire part of the time. Would the compensater possibility be the Issue?

The comp sprocket is the bang on start up, I don't see it causing a back fire out the AC If u get it figured out I sure would like to know what it is, best of luck:s

Back