free website stats program Backfire - Carb and Pipes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Backfire - Carb and Pipes

Thanks Glider....

Follow up question... doesn't it mean though, that sense my throttle cam does NOT make contact with the cam stop... short by about 1/4 " that my throttle is never opening all the way?

In other words.. bike pointing straight ahead and cable extended to the max, when I rotate the grip to the wide open position, the cam is still 1/4" from reaching the cam stop... to me that means the carb is 1/4" travel away from being fully open and I am out of cable adjustment. (I'm guessing the previous owner was a Chicom and installed a NON HD specific cable.)

In that position I can turn the cam with my fingers until it does reach the cam stop.

That leaves me with another question. If the best I can adjust the throttle cable is to 1/4" away from what should be the full open position, how do I adjust the idle cable? Just get it snug?

Am I wrong here?

Last edited:
If the throttle on the carb isn't opening all the way then the cable may be too long or stretched if you can't remedy this with the adjustment.
The throttle grip should have a bit of play in it after the adjustment and the idle cable should not be taught when it isn in the idle position.

The adjustment procedure is pretty straight forward and if it doesn't adjust properly then the possibility of the wrong cable exists.

Gentlemen.... Glider, TQuentin1 and Dangerdan,

I did everything I set out to do this morning here in China... benched the carb, cleaned it all up, set the mixture screw to 2 3/4 out from light seat, added 3/32" of washers to the Jet Needle, tightened the intakes at the heads (two screws were loose) put her all back together and now I can tell it's an evolution engine... smooth as silk... goodness... I am literally thrilled.... it is the smoothest running Harley I've ever ridden...

Thanks so much for your sound advice! It all worked great!

Cheers!

I did everything I set out to do this morning here in China... benched the carb, cleaned it all up, set the mixture screw to 2 3/4 out from light seat, added 3/32" of washers to the Jet Needle, tightened the intakes at the heads (two screws were loose) put her all back together and now I can tell it's an evolution engine... smooth as silk... goodness... I am literally thrilled.... it is the smoothest running Harley I've ever ridden...

Cheers!

Excellent!! Glad you were able to track down the problems that were impacting your enjoyment of the bike. Kind of fun tho' ain't it? A real sense of accomplishment getting your pride and joy running like she should, and especially knowing that YOU did it.

Congrats.

I am headed over to your general part of the world next week. Will be in Brunei for a month or so. I know it is a long way from your part of China down to Brunei, but not as far as from Houston!!

TQ

Cheers!

Excellent! I'm glad you got a handle on it and it's squared away now. Ride and enjoy now!:D

When the time comes, I'm a firm believer in 'if it's not broke, don't fix it.' :s But, I know where to go for my answers now. :D

You know Joy... mine actually wasn't broke! I just felt and knew it could be better... too many little minor glitches to suit me... and I sure am glad I did...

Had the most enjoyable ride today... (it's Sunday night here now) up in the mountains surrounding where we are... once one gets off the main roads one loses the trucks and "don't know how to drive" drivers, you can sort of relax and really enjoy the ride! It was just awesome the way the bike ran today!

One negative though.. now that it is running so good (the engine) it makes some of the other little quirks more noticeable so I will getting into some additional things. I.E. I have detected a slight chatter in the main chain drive box... will start reading up on that next, I guess. With the help one gets on this Forum I'm not much afraid to tackle anything now!

Have a nice one!

Last edited:
Back