free website stats program Back up fuel supply | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Back up fuel supply

This does look like a very good container and may be a solution for you. But...I still wonder, unlees you have the smaller 3.5 gal tank, I would think your gas mileage should be better. JMO. Cheers!!

Hi Gator508 - my tank's around a 12l fill up so that's the 3.3 US gallon capacity if my arithmetic is correct. So I'm getting 9-10 miles per litre which = approx 38mpgUS or 45mpg Imperial. That's not so bad I think.

I keep an eye on my mileage and have learned not to be unsettled by the overly keen low fuel warning light.

Cedarbrook, you ran into the first "comfort" mod I did on the '04 Sportster...but it can get expensive, requiring a new seat fitted as well. Used the next year's XL-1200C model tank (4.5 gal. 3.3 gal to reserve)...

And yes your mileage of 38 mpg does seem a bit low unless doing only city riding or exercising the wrist a bit...(mine is carbureted however). On long distance cruising with modest 70 mph on the highway ONLY, I get closer to 48 to 50 mpg, so I get the "sputter" around 160 miles or so... :s

If you have bags, the compact red jug in the left would be your best bet regarding cost/performance for your trip...JMO :D

I bought a REDA can from Chop, and I know others who have as well. Great product from a great guy. He offers lots of support so I like to support him as well. Goes good with my Choppers Garage tee shirt.....:D

Hi Gator508 - my tank's around a 12l fill up so that's the 3.3 US gallon capacity if my arithmetic is correct. So I'm getting 9-10 miles per litre which = approx 38mpgUS or 45mpg Imperial. That's not so bad I think.

I keep an eye on my mileage and have learned not to be unsettled by the overly keen low fuel warning light.

Hey cedarbrook,

your mileage and range sound about right for the smaller tank, guess you will need to go with one of Chopper's tanks. Good luck!

Back