free website stats program Back up fuel supply | Harley Davidson Forums

Back up fuel supply

cedarbrook63

Everyone is different - some like to stop every hour or so - have a smoke, stretch that stiff back, chill and look around, while some like to crack on as far as gas fumes and nerves of steel will take them.

When you're on a long ride - planning your fuel stops is really important. I haven't ever had it happen but it must be a real pain to run out of fuel out on the road. Now here's my question -

Are there any legal or insurance issues to carrying fuel anywhere on your bike other than the fuel tank? Does anyone carry any extra fuel - a few litres whatever - in a strong secure container when you're going on a long trip and maybe can't be exactly sure of the next fuel stop - just as a back up?

Just wondering. It's not really an issue in Western Europe, or, I imagine, most of the USA - but with a range of 110-120 miles on my Sportster and a long trip coming up this summer the thought crossed my mind.

:newsmile099:

My bikes being carbed have a reserve although it is only .9 of a litre it is sometimes enough to get out of trouble but we tend to fill up at around 100 miles wifes bike has about a 20 litre tank and mine is about 15 and we need between 8 and 9 litres at a fill although we have gone 150 miles without filling
i do find that on longer trips the fuel goes a wee bit further
however a couple of spare litres may be a good idea
Be aware that i think it is an offence to run out of fuel on the autobahn in Germany

Brian

cedarbrook63,
I suppose carrying extra fuel is not that bad of an idea, as long as you are sure of the integrity of the container. There are laws which prohibit using non-DOT approved containers, at least in the US.
Question, what is your fuel tank capacity, your range seems low to me, I had a 2007, 1200SE which had a 4.5 gal tank and usually managed ~ 180 miles before the reserve light came on.

cedarbrook63,
I suppose carrying extra fuel is not that bad of an idea, as long as you are sure of the integrity of the container. There are laws which prohibit using non-DOT approved containers, at least in the US.
Question, what is your fuel tank capacity, your range seems low to me, I had a 2007, 1200SE which had a 4.5 gal tank and usually managed ~ 180 miles before the reserve light came on.

Wow 180 miles! That's way more that I would dream of with my Sportster Gator. My reserve light is a joke and always has been - it comes on anywhere from 50-80 miles depending on how much town/out of town riding I'm doing.
I'll ask the tech to have a look next time it's in. Thanks for the tip on the DOT approval. I'll look into what's available, especially since - as Brian points out - you don't want to have die deutsche Polizei getting cranky with you for running out of petrol.

If you are tight for space finding a small container for holding petrol may be a bit of a challenge however a lot of camping stoves made for high altitude work off petrol as butane wont work so you may get small capacity petrol bottles from an outdoor centre rather than a motorcycle or car place

Brian

Looking at cedarbrook63 sporster, muffler goes under right side bag. I would put fuel in left side bag just to avoid the heat from the muffler.
Would this be a concern or am I being overly cautious.

Looking at cedarbrook63 sporster, muffler goes under right side bag. I would put fuel in left side bag just to avoid the heat from the muffler.
Would this be a concern or am I being overly cautious.

No to overly cautious - if I was carrying any spare fuel - it would be in the left bag and NOT the right. Intelligent point.

================================================

Looks like this one might fit the bill and is sold by Chopper at Chops Garage .That Chopper sells this product would be a good enough recommendation for me to consider it if I were in the market.

REDA Gas Can: News

Very neat product TripleJ. As you say if Chopper rates it - that's a good recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
No to overly cautious - if I was carrying any spare fuel - it would be in the left bag and NOT the right. Intelligent point.

================================================

Very neat product TripleJ. As you say if Chopper rates it - that's a good recommendation.

This does look like a very good container and may be a solution for you. But...I still wonder, unlees you have the smaller 3.5 gal tank, I would think your gas mileage should be better. JMO. Cheers!!

My bikes being carbed have a reserve although it is only .9 of a litre it is sometimes enough to get out of trouble but we tend to fill up at around 100 miles wifes bike has about a 20 litre tank and mine is about 15 and we need between 8 and 9 litres at a fill although we have gone 150 miles without filling
i do find that on longer trips the fuel goes a wee bit further
however a couple of spare litres may be a good idea
Be aware that i think it is an offence to run out of fuel on the autobahn in Germany

Brian

It is an offense to run out on the autobahn in Germany. From what I hear, it is a really expensive fine too. Pretty rare that someone runs out, so I guess the law works well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back