free website stats program Back to square one, starting over | Harley Davidson Forums

Back to square one, starting over

ORTIGO

I need to start over with a bike that has had to many hands on it.
My probs are mostly runability probs. I now own my fathers 1989 XLH 883. He passed away awhile back and it was gifted to me. It sat for a couple yrs as dad wasnt able to ride much. I was able to clean the carb and that made some difference but still runs very poorly. while doing the carb clean I noticed the diaphram was drilled for one, so i got a new one. Someone has the needle clip on the third slot with three washers under that, the idle screww is at 2.5, turns. pilot jet is at 45, main jet is a 160 (lol they took out the baffles and put in a 160). So like i said time to start over. I have purchased a new slide and diaphram, excel pump, asortment of jets, intake gaskets, plugs, wires, nrhs huricane breather with 2 inch k&n filter throttle cables ect. My main concern is with the needle,it looks to have a number 0146 looks stock but im not sure,, and the clip setting and washers. If someone thinks they can give me a good starting point with this settup i would be very thankful. I will do my best from there with the self help and a couple other good articles i found posted for fine tuning. ORTIGO

Went ahead and put it back together today. Had trouble fitting new main jets with dealer replacements so i bought a new part that was back to stock. Still not sure about the needle should have asked while I was there. Went ahead and kept the needle for now, left one washer under it. Main jet is 180, left 45 pilot and 2.5 turns on the idle screw. After a ride the plugs had a white look to the ground strap heat went to far down the strap I think, it made it past the bend on one and about to the threads on the other. maybe a bit to much timing.( anyone). Im thinking of going to 46 pilot and maybe 185 main . and backin off timing a degree or two. Im flying blind here if anyone wants to chime in. Just seams odd to have these big jets in a sportster. Big improvement in the way it ran though. Just trying not to seize a piston.
ORTIGO

Last edited by a moderator:
Went ahead and put it back together today. Had trouble fitting new main jets with dealer replacements so i bought a new part that was back to stock. Still not sure about the needle should have asked while I was there. Went ahead and kept the needle for now, left one washer under it. Main jet is 180, left 45 pilot and 2.5 turns on the idle screw. After a ride the plugs had a white look to the ground strap heat went to far down the strap I think, it made it past the bend on one and about to the threads on the other. maybe a bit to much timing.( anyone). Im thinking of going to 46 pilot and maybe 185 main . and backin off timing a degree or two. Im flying blind here if anyone wants to chime in. Just seams odd to have these big jets in a sportster. Big improvement in the way it ran though. Just trying not to seize a piston.
ORTIGO

Are the baffles back in... I think the sporty will need less fuel and run better if you do (baffles). Looks like your dad went around jetting by lifting the needle up a bunch... I just had my bike 06 1200 R out today and found it Lean off idle... Set for Azz. and bacck in Wa.It is set to run good at 4400 feet and at 500/800 here, it is lean. The idle jet is what i need to increase...

Your bike, saying it runs Better with the larger jets. I think I would pay No attention to size right now, but Runability is the important thing... I think you have it right at the way you are doing it... You will know when it is there! Your Dad would be Proud of you in your reworking his old bike now yours........ Good luck and ride safe!

signed....BUBBIE

No baffles as of yet. I have considered puting them back in as my brother found one still looking for the other. Also was looking around and at threads and I think it was glider that was talking about thunder monster baffles. To tell you the truth though I kinda like the loud but not against puting baffles back in.Believe it or not dad paid someone 1700 to tune this bike and do some minor repair. I myself am a good car machanic but that is a far cry from bike machanic experience. ORTIGO

No baffles as of yet. I have considered puting them back in as my brother found one still looking for the other. Also was looking around and at threads and I think it was glider that was talking about thunder monster baffles. To tell you the truth though I kinda like the loud but not against puting baffles back in.Believe it or not dad paid someone 1700 to tune this bike and do some minor repair. I myself am a good car machanic but that is a far cry from bike machanic experience. ORTIGO

If you go back to baffles, You won't need the larger jets. Sounds like your are on the way to becoming a bike mechanic... Keep this HDT forum handy Help is Usually around...

You might just want to put on a new pair of slip-ons..

signed....BUBBIE

Ortigo, take a careful internal measurement of the pipes where the baffles are to mount. If they are say 1 7/8" go to Drag Specialties and look for a pair of baffles. I got a pair of 12" ones here for the "magic" price of $12.99 (the HD parts guy couldn't believe it when I showed him)...they fit my bike and quieted down my pipes to "neighbor friendly" level...:newsmile100: turned the loud ringing to a nice Potato-Potato sound...:D

As I said I like the loud but Ive been reading threads about reversion. I think some kind of backpreasure would be a good Idea. Theres also two kinds of loud, broken loud like a car without a muffler, and muscle loud. I need to find something that sounds like muscle loud and hopefully get it done with the right baffle in this exhaust. Mabe a speed shop is the way to go.
ORTIGO

Ortigo...I ran straight drag pipes and they were LOUD...setting off car alarms on my street and rattling windows at my work. It is STILL plenty loud, only set off a car alarm now and then and the gals at work (one rides by the way) can still hear me coming way down the street before I turn into the driveway to park...just don't rattle the windows as "much"...LOL!

My gal still can't understand why my Sporty sounds so loud compared to neighbors' 2005 HD Springer..."--can't imagine why..."!! :newsmile100:

lol I will get the baffles before I finish the tune. Thanks guys.
ORTIGO

Ok guys I put the baffles back in, These are aftermarket slip ons with no name to be found. Anyway. nothing else has changed. Rebuilt carb 45 pilot 180 main 2.5 turns on idle screw one washer under needle nrhs hurricane filter 2 inch k&n. Problem is that those jets should be doing a pretty good job. With the baffles its now poping through the carb every once in awhile. hard excell is bogging and poping out the exhaust. Ground strap on plug looks white and a little powdery, insulator looks white. What gives. How big should a 883 jets be before I think theres other probs to look for . Only thing I have not checked is the petcock prefilter but I will in the morning, tank looks clean.
ORTIGO

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Hobbit. Until you find out what's in the carb as far as jets and if they are HD or DJ, you can't set up the carb properly with a mix of different parts.

Sportster CV Carb Rejetting - Harley Davidson Community

Sizing the low jet is done basically by judging the turns out on the mixture screw. You should be about 2 1/2-3 turns out. If you are further out a bigger jet is needed and visa versa.

I was offered a mikuni taday for 289.00 on sale. He says tune the cv and this thing will still outperform. Considering how many hands have been on this bike I just might. Only thing not stock would be maybe the needle. main jets excell pump emulsion tube slide and diapham all bought from a dealer. numbers on jets but no other markings. Maybe i should just stick it out and learn something. lol ORTIGO

Back