free website stats program back tire | Harley Davidson Forums

back tire

saintNH

My bike has been sitting up on my jack all winter and when I started it yesterday the back tire would spin very slowly in neutral, and with the clutch pulled in. I could put my hand on it and with very little pressure it would stop but when I let go it would start again. When I let the clutch out the tire started spinning with barely letting out a fraction of the clutch so I loosened the cable some even though it was adjusted to spec, but that did nothing. I ran it through a few gears on the jack, pumped the clutch a bunch of times thinking that maybe something is stuck from sitting for a while, but it didnt stop in the 20-25mins I had it running. Anybody know what this could be? the strangest part is that it does it even in neutral.

So if I adjust the clutch this should go away?
WAP.gif

I would be more concerned with leaving bike stationary and running for 20-25 minutes. Wheel moving is normal...

As pointed out above, this is just parasitic drag. With little resistance on the back wheel, the fluid between the plates in the clutch basket turn the gears in the tranny causing the wheel to turn slowly. As you point out, it is very easy to stop with your hand. If it was a clutch dragging, you would have trouble stopping the tire from turning.

Not to worry.

TQ

Thanks for the help. I had not seen it do that before so I was a little concerned but that explanation makes sense. Thanks again.
WAP.gif

I would be more concerned with leaving bike stationary and running for 20-25 minutes. Wheel moving is normal...

I'd Like you to read this Above Post again.....

This is VERY IMPORTANT.... Unless your Have a BIG FAN blowing across the motor and head pipes You are ASKING for problems.. AIR COOLED.. Usually a bike is started and run ONLY long enough to Mount the bike, strap on helmet
(2 mins MAX.) Then Ride off with the Air Cooled bike.

I take it easy, no High revving until it has about 10/15 miles on it, then I feel it is warmed up enough to RIDE.

Just concerned you don't BURN that Motor Up.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Got it. Thanks again!
WAP.gif

That is Some of the CLUNK you hear on a HD before ALL stops when clutch is pulled in to go to LOW, IF you wait with clutch lever pulled in ALL the way against the handle bar for about a count of 5/8 seconds the CLUNK will be gone IN Most bikes that have the Correct clutch and cable setting.
Cars Usually do the same spinning a tire/wheel thing while on a rack off the ground when engine is Running in Neutral..

signed....BUBBIE

It's like an old FREE AIR snowmobile, you must have air MOVING around the fins on the jugs. It's even worse on the bike with no fins on the heads like a 2 stroke.

Back