free website stats program Back Suspension Of A Touring In Curves | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Back Suspension Of A Touring In Curves

Is this the design in all the touring bikes? Just wondering about hubbies bike, he hasn't mentioned anything like that, but I thought I would ask him about it, or pay closer attention when we ride. Thanks. :)

Joy some feel it some don't but everything you read says yeah its more of a design flaw than anything else well that and harley only using 2 links instead of the 3 that supposed to be there according on the patent of how it works

Thanks Bud. Sometimes I'm a little slow, I can read all this stuff, and then out of the blue, I get the 'hmmm, I wonder' thought. LOL, today, I was on the John Deere. But, you know I had hubby looking at new bikes a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't convince him to really check them out, his philosophy is that there is nothing wrong with his bike, and he doesn't need anything for his bike. I'll keep trying. :D

Like some people have said , it may be noticeable but i think my 06 has served my purpose very well. I have no problem going into a corner +20-30 over the posted speed limit and if i needed much more than that i would get a Ducati or busa.I think the Street glides are great as long as you remember you are on a 750-800 lb touring bike and not a 600 lb rocket

I was told the way to check it was to raise your butt about an inch off the seat and shift your weight (throw your butt) to each side very quickly. I tried that and the bike seemed very unstable. I installed the "Missing Link" TWR and now the bike is like it's on rails.

The 2009 touring models have a different frame, different attachment of the swing arm, and an additional link (four instead of three). The Motor Company knew there was something wrong with the rubber mounted swing arm. Now, they've fixed it.

I put the TWR on also. Love what it did to take the wag out of the tail in the turns.

Although I too am a skeptic like Smitty, the high speed wobble in H-D Touring bikes is real. I own two Road Kings, an 01 and an 03 and I have put over 50000 on each bike. The wobble can occur at speeds above 75 mph when leaning into a curve. Deviations in the road make it worse. A worn out front motor mount (below the voltage regulator) will make very noticable. I have lost count how many times this has happened to me. The wobble does not normally happen when going straight at high speeds. I have ridden both of my RKs over 120 mph (downhill) and as long as I was going straight, I never had a wobble. As soon as I leaned into a curve, the squirly feel would start and get worse if the road had deviations. I am currently looking for a bracket. Until then, I keep it below 75 in turns. The problem is real on touring bikes up to 07 and possibly 08. The new design of the 09 will be the real test. By the way, part of that redesign was to fix the problems with all the cracked exhaust and rear fender/saddlbag brackets. I have cracked 6 brackets and one y pipe. Keep an eye on all your exhaust and saddlebag brackets along with that front motor mount. Good Luck

This is my first Harley and I don't notice anything other than what I would have expected. I came off of FJR's, XX's, YZF's and RC's. 120mph on one of these????? Get real.......Ride these bikes for what the are. Get a Busa or a XX if you need more........JMO.

This is my first Harley and I don't notice anything other than what I would have expected. I came off of FJR's, XX's, YZF's and RC's. 120mph on one of these????? Get real.......Ride these bikes for what the are. Get a Busa or a XX if you need more........JMO.

Amazing:wall:wall:wall, At least the MOCO finally listened to their customers and realized that there was a problem with the rear of these bikes and fixed them for 2009.

I guess I am lucky I have never felt this sensation at all.

Some get it and some don't. I think it's a combination of HD design, road condition, tire condition, tire inflation, bike loading, and riding style. If that's not enough variables for you I'll try to think of a few more!

Back