free website stats program Back rest installation- need advice. | Harley Davidson Forums

Back rest installation- need advice.

AirHog

I am trying to install a back rest (HD made- rigid ) on my 2009 Dyna Low. I have the bike raised. It was easy to take the front bolt out, however due to the length of the back bolt , it is hitting the tire (way on the top) and I can not push it in.

I am thinking letting the air out of the back tire and maybe that will solve the issue. Will that work, or do I need to adjust the shock, so the tire will drop an inch or so.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Titu.

My guess is you want a shorter bolt.
Letting air out of the tire will only make it flat on the bottom (old joke) centrifical force will throw it out when it rotates around. Adjusting the shocks may let you get it mounted but you will hit a bump and be right back into the tire.

Sounds like you're on the right track, yes most of the time just letting the air out of the tire will do it, if not you'll have to take the bolts out of the shock and drop the wheel lower, no biggie.

Let the air out of the back tire and was able wiggle the back bolt loose.

Another minor issue. The factory installed side reflector is now in the way. Got to pop it off- however looks like a very strong two way tape.

Have to wait another day as it is only 21 deg in the garage (alright I am a wimp).

Thanks Chopper and all. You guys are the best. A very mechanical challenged banker and a newbie will need lots of help in the future.

Best,

Titu

AirHog glad you got it, the reflector is no big deal unless you try doing it in 21 degree temps, take a hair dryer or heat gun on a very low setting to soften the glue being careful not to apply heat directly so as not to damage paint, I take a small screwdriver just under a edge of the reflector, still being careful of paint, and pry it outwards it should peel right off, then use a decal remover solvent that will not damage the paint to remove any glue that's left. The kit should have a new reflector you can install or NOT on the side plate.

Will do. Have to use the Mrs. hair dryer. Stopped needing a hair dryer long time ago.:D:newsmile062::newsmile062::newsmile062:
Thanks Chopper.

Just put the same think on my FXDC yesterday and know exactly what you're talking about. The rear bolts on my bike just barely missed the tire, and your low rider probably sits a little lower. Shorter bolts won't work, I think your on the right track with letting air out. Probably only need a miniscule adjustment to get the bolts past the tire.

Jimmy

If you haven't done it yet, warm the reflector with a hair dryer like Chopper said, then slide a lenght of dental floss between the reflector and where it's mounted a work back and forth like a saw, no chance of scratches. Works great. Clean up the leftover adhesive with WD40 Good luck!

Back