back fire when letting off the throttle

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by swat, May 1, 2010.

1. swat

swat New Member

I have a 01 road king with efi it has 77,000 miles stage 1 kit and samson exhaust, I get a back fire and quite the fire work show when i let off the throttle and down shift.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

How long have you had the stage 1 and exhaust and did it do it before these were added. Low restriction mufflers will often pop on decel.

3. BikeSAG

BikeSAG Active Member

You'll be a favorite in the upcoming 4th of July parade...then get it fixed.

4. mrtn681

mrtn681 Active Member

Mine dose this sometimes but I have Vance&Hines Short Shots w/o baffels.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Un burned gas in the exhaust ignites from hot spots in the pipes, my fishtails did this til I made splitters and homemade baffles

6. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Is it throwing a code? Could be the cam position sensor going bad. I think 2001 was the last year for using the cam position sensor. Have you changed the spark plugs to some other brand. I had Autolites in for a month once and on a trip it started back firing. Next morning I put in a old set of HD plugs and everything was fine after.
    kemo

7. murf

murf Active Member

Not unusual with free flow air filter and exhaust on a EFI bike. My '06 super glide started doing it as soon as I made these changes. I was told it wasn't hurting anything. ?

8. Retrop

Retrop Active Member

Lots of good ideas here today. Don't forget to check your muffler clamps. Lots of folks develop a pop after putting mufflers back on bike. If clamps are incorrectly torqued or in the wrong position they will leak air which can lead to decel popping. Those $10.00 clamps have a way of stretching.

9. recon

recon New Member

Agree, Also gaskets at headers need to seal.

10. sjr56

sjr56 Banned

Decell backfire is normally a lean misfire. Either sucking air or the ECM needs to throw more fuel.