free website stats program Back fire on fuel injected HD's | Harley Davidson Forums

Back fire on fuel injected HD's

BigG

I have a 2003 FLSTCI which is obviously fuel injected. I have a back fire or cough occasionally when I goose the throttle. Any suggestions as to what could be causing it to backfire or cough?

I have a 2003 FLSTCI which is obviously fuel injected. I have a back fire or cough occasionally when I goose the throttle. Any suggestions as to what could be causing it to backfire or cough?

Any mods done lately to it? Is this only when you excel or is it also decel?

No I had the Stage 1 Kit at 500 Miles in Feb 03. Now has 30,000 miles with no additional performance related changes.

Fuel injection shouldn't cough back unless there's something causing it to lean out like an intake leak or modifications to lean it out like intake etc.

What is the best injector cleaner to use?

I put 2 oz. of Marvels Mystery Oil in every tank fill-up (formula is 4 oz./10 gallons of gas). Cleans and lubricates the fuel system and stuff that only the gasoline gets to.

On the coughing/backfiring, follow Glider's lead here and look for intake/exhaust leaks. Info on this is in the Self-help pages in the appropriate section:

Self Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Last edited:
Back