free website stats program Back cylinder not working, PLEASE HELP! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Back cylinder not working, PLEASE HELP!

Sounds like your on to something, a vacuum leak would dilute the air/fuel mixture to a point where only operation with the choke would be of help. Some spray WD-40 or small amount of motor oil around gaskets and seals externally at the intake boot and such. Keep us informed as your troubleshooting progresses.

Ok brother I sure will...I posted another thread about needing a tool that will allow me to get the bolts off that are bolted into the cylinders holding the intake part on. I think I have confused everyone on trying to explain it. I got the carb of with no problem with a allen head attachment. But now im trying to get the two bolts that hold the intake part on to the back cylinder and the two bolts that hold the intake on the front cylinder. They are a star headed bolt not a allen head. It will require a socket of some sort but the sockets that i have the walls are to fat to go over the head because it doesnt leave much room to work with. I almost need a star headed wrench with the side grinded off of it to make it fit....Im sure I have lost you also, havent i? I hope not!!

Ok, I want to personally thank each and everyone of you who posted on my thread the try and help me. I will tell you guys that I accomplished the task and got my bike back running. It was the compression problem. I did have a intake leak that caused my back cylinder to keep from firing. I also found the trick to getting to those torx bolt heads as well. I went in and took the carb off and found that both bolts were lose...One was real bad and the other was tight but not tight enough. The one that was loose was so loose you could unscrew with your finger tips. So, instead I tightened the bolt up tight and it started running awesome. Actually it ran better than it has, I believe I have had the loose bolt for awhile now and it just got so loose it affected the running of the bike. Im gonna wait till riding season is over and then go in and replace all gaskets on it then. So, once again I can never ever thank you guys enough for the help you all have provided. May all of you be safe on the roads, keep riding!!!:bigsmiley11:

Sportster doing something strange and worried

Hello, I just fixed my intake seal problem and got the bike back running again after two weeks. I have rode it twice since. I rode it today for about an hour or so. I got home and turned the gas to off on the petcock and the bike ran a couple more seconds after I did that. I shut the bike off and got off the bike and looked down at the exhaust pipes and noticed a light smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes. It was not heavy at all. It was very small amounts of it and not long of doing it also. I actually had to stand still and really watch closely to see it. If you werent looking for it, you would of never noticed it. WOW, what can this be or could it be? Im sitting thinking its something really bad and it be normal or something minor and fixable.

Re: Sportster doing something strange and worried

If the bike is running good, I would not give it a second thought. Things like that are only a concern when you feel or know you have a problem and are collecting information.

Re: Sportster doing something strange and worried

Your bike should run for a wee while when the petcock is turned off as the float bowl is still full
bike uses the fuel in the float bowl to run and then tops up from the tank by the float valve opening and fuel running down the fuel pipe so from the petcock to the jets is still full when you shut the petcock and that fuel has to be burned off before the engine will cut out although float bowl will be about 1/3 full when engine stops

Brian

Back