free website stats program Axtell Bypass | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Axtell Bypass

Here is he response from Axtell:

Tim

What you are seeing is a large pump, cold heavy oil and restrictions in the system (oil coolers etc). 60 psi is not a problem at all and it is helping get lube to parts at start up quicker.

I guess no worries then.

Dolt:

Do you think this is a part that we should install on stock motors, or just leave well enough alone??? In other words, does the cost and time to install justify the benefits we might receive from it??? $85 for just a little valve seems pretty high to me, but if it protects my motor better, it's worth it.

Thanks

From the Axtell web site:

With the stock OEM oiling system configuration when oil pressure becomes excessive it is bypassed from the high side of the feed to the low side...basically "looping". This causes aeration of the oil and many negatives. Aerated oil is spongy and causes lifter ticking. Also being spongy it results in an oil pressure drop that will cause the piston oilers to shut down. When this occurs engine heat builds and piston & ring life is shortened. Our system directs the bypassed oil into the cam chest to be returned to the oil tank eliminating the "loop". Results: higher oil pressure at low engine rpms. longer oil life due to reduced oil shear,lower oil temperature, improved valve train control and noise.

I am not a cool aid drinker but can see how this piece of hardware works and will perform as advertised. I would install the bypass in a stock motor with a noisy valve train as well as in conjunction with any performance upgrade such as a cam or big bore upgrade. I wouldn't feel any sense of urgency to install the bypass in a stock motor that had a quiet valve train; however, if one has an the time and money, I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade to install on a stock motor in the off season. As usual, JMHO.

Update:

Having finally gotten a good long ride in after work issues and weather, the following results were obtained from a 250 mile ride in 70* weather.

Cold pressure at idle - 55 PSI
Hot pressure at idle - 35 PSI

Cold pressure at 2800RPM - 55 PSI
Hot Pressure at 2800 RPM - 50 PSI

This was using Rotella 15w-40 (My "winter weight" oil). I will post again if interested when I change the oil out to 20w-50.

My initial 60+ PSI that was observed on first start-up as posted earlier has not returned since. I do not know why it did that the first time, nor why it has not done it since.

I did also notice that my valve train clatter between 2500 and 2900 RPM has greatly reduced as well.

Did you purchase it from Axtell, or did you purchase it from Zippers? I emailed Zippers about it and no response yet......I think I'll purchase form Axtell.

I installed the axtell bypass in the Fatbob, when I was replacing the cam with a red shift item.
The oil temp has dropped 20° C on a warm engine, at first i could not believe it but this thing really works !

Back