free website stats program Axle-spacer fit | Harley Davidson Forums

Axle-spacer fit

I have put a wideglide front end on my 02 Dyna. I had an axle custom fitted to keep my stock dyna wheel, but I am stumped at how much spacer takeup I need to put on the axle. In other words how much preesure should be pushing on the wheel bearings. Should the assembly fit tight between the sliders or just snug or even loose? Can anyone help?

Thanks.
BDonHD

Very Tight.
(Basing it on how my front end works (2009)

As long as you already have the correct Inside spacer that is between the wheel bearings you will be able to tighten the axle nut to spec and you will not have any bearing binds. The inside spacer must be correct and that will keep the wheel bearings from being cross loaded while you tighten the axle nut.
When all is said and done, the outside spaces will be squeezed toward each other by the torquing of the axle nut.

Have you tried the standard wideglide spacers, if the wheel hubs are the same width they should work or measure the width of the fork space and subtract the width of the hub and take that number and divide by two should give you the length of the spacers needed.

Just a quick point of info, for anybody who does work needing accurate measurement get yourself a set of digital calipres if you don't already have them. they sure make life easier.

BigRol has a good point, Harbor Freight carries stainless steel (still not sold on composite ones) with digital readout displays, inch & metric calibrations that are easy to read at a glance and at pricing starting around $15 is a great deal (when on sale) verses $100's many pay for high end branding.

Should the assembly fit tight between the sliders or just snug or even loose?

Thanks.
BDonHD

Use caution when changing spacers around. The general quick answer is the spacers should just slide in, between the slideres and the bearings. If they cause the sliders to squeez in, or spread out, the sliders could bind up when the suspension travels up and down.

I am not sure what you had custom made, the axle shaft itself, the spacer between the bearings inside the hub, or the actual hub.

Be careful!:19:

Use caution when changing spacers around. The general quick answer is the spacers should just slide in, between the slideres and the bearings. If they cause the sliders to squeez in, or spread out, the sliders could bind up when the suspension travels up and down.
:

When you say "sliders", are those the actual fork arms. On my FXDL only 1 fork arm has a hole for the axle. The other fork arm has a axle cap with 2 allen cap screws. You could actually install the incorrect spaces and not squeeze or spread the fork arms. I now guess that some fork arms have a hole on both sides and not just one. (?)

Thanks Rick, that was the information I was looking for. The axle is the part I had made custom, so now I need to fit the space between the sliders with the right length spacers to center the stock Dyna wheel hub. So these spacers should just fill in the available space without any force is what you are saying.

Ridinagin,

Another critical thing to look at is: When the spacers are in place and the axle nut snugged up, make sure the brake caliper lines up correctly with the brake rotor on the hub. It is common to have a longer spacer on the left side. If you are not positive, get some professional help with this. It could be disastrous if not done right.

Back