free website stats program Axle Holder Stud Snapped | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Axle Holder Stud Snapped

How much thread do you have left? Enough to put 2 nuts on and lock one against the other?

If you can do that,then i would apply lots of penetrating oil up into the stud hole and get my wife's hairdrier and apply heat with that.Dunno about your country,but in mine,a hairdrier on setting 2 of 2 is PLENTY hot enough to assist and wont hurt a thing-except my head if she ever found out.Failing a wife;use an electrical heat gun.

Try the locked nuts,the oil and the heat.And if you can loosen the stud,work it back and forth like when tapping a thread.

Before i became 'sensible',i would've used a set of Vice Grip Pliers in lieu of locknuts,but with the oil and heat.That can work too.

As mentioned,it would be a good idea to dress the thread in the forkleg to assist the new stud.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I did get the stud out! I went to every auto parts store in town looking for a stud removal tool and found one at the last place (closest to the house) that we went to. However, there wasn't enough of the stud protrudung for the stud remover to grasp it properly. I ended up using a good pair of vise-grips after heating the fork slider up (had to sneak moma's hair drier out to the garage). Now I have to wait till the only dealer within 100 miles that has one opens on Tuesday to get a replacement. Yeah, I went back to all the auto parts stores, they came close but no cigar!!. Anyways, I'll bet putting Betsy back together Tuesday evening!

It is always good when a resolution is reached without the cost becoming too high
It is always good to apply a wee bit of heat i have a hot air gun and a gas torch just for when heat is needed and i do not need to sneak around the house and take the hair dryer for a visit to the bike shed :)

Brian

Now I have to wait till the only dealer within 100 miles that has one opens on Tuesday to get a replacement. Yeah, I went back to all the auto parts stores, they came close but no cigar!!. Anyways, I'll bet putting Betsy back together Tuesday evening!

I don't know where you are in GA, but I wouldn't count on the dealer having one in stock. Check a Lowes/HDepot or hardware store. Also, nothing says you have to use a stud, you can use a bolt of the right thread & length, IF it was not a shouldered stud.

Many differing ideas but all good. I just tried to reset the toe on my truck, something that hadn't been done in many years so first I used PB blaster that did not work, so I applied a fair amount of heat that didn't work, what I ended up doing was heating the collars and nuts up to red glow and melted a candle onto the threads and, as the wax cooled it popped loose and I was able to get things moving. Now you can't go to red glow on aluminum since it would destroy the lower leg but you can use a heat gun to get things where the wax will penetrate and loosen the broken stud. I hadn't thought of this remedy for a long time but a guy I was working with told me about an exhaust stud he couldn't get out and so he tried this and it worked. Good luck and be thorough in getting it right.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are in GA, but I wouldn't count on the dealer having one in stock. Check a Lowes/HDepot or hardware store. Also, nothing says you have to use a stud, you can use a bolt of the right thread & length, IF it was not a shouldered stud.

I'm Kingsland Georgia, just north of Jacksonville. The dealer up in Brunswick (Golden Isles) can get me one in 5 days or I can drive down to Amamec HD in Jax and get it today. (they have one (1) that they are holding for me) I never figured this would be such a difficult part to get. You would think that they would have several on hand most of the time.

Back