free website stats program axel slipping | Harley Davidson Forums

axel slipping

earman83

I recently took the rear wheel off my 2008 road king removed the bearings and had it powder coated. the bearings were good so i reinstalled everything as it originally was and torqued it to specs. now after about 50 miles my belt loosens up. the axel bolt is still tight but you can see that it has rotated because there is a gap at the cam spacer and the belt is loose. Readjusted it 4 times but it keeps happaning. Any sugestions?

The bearings should never have been reused, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, I would jack the rear end up, check the bearings for end play and spin to see if they are making noise, if any doubt at all replace the bearings. If everything looks good and your comfortable running the bearings, adj belt and torque axle tp 100 ft lbs.

i dont dissagree about the bearings but they were perfect and i torqued to 105. i dont think that is the problem but i did order new ones this afternoon for the next time i put it together.

Yea I don't see how the bearings could make the axle loose torque, something must not have been quite right the first time you torqued it, or possabley the one bearing wasn't seated fully? see if it does it again. And the bearings are sealed so there's no real way to check them after you pull them out, they might feel smooth but I still wouldn't trust them myself.

May also want to check the surfaces for inadvertant grease or oil on those surfaces you want to hold at the frame stays, and that when you backed off the adjusters, did you count the # of turns on both sides evenly to return the adjustment back to the original setting? Also, if you use blue locktite, remember that it is wet, and should dry to setup and hold your torque setting overnight.

May also want to check the surfaces for inadvertant grease or oil on those surfaces you want to hold at the frame stays, and that when you backed off the adjusters, did you count the # of turns on both sides evenly to return the adjustment back to the original setting? Also, if you use blue locktite, remember that it is wet, and should dry to setup and hold your torque setting overnight.

08 is a cammed adjuster not individual screws.. something for sure aint right i replaced my rear tire and put ti back as manual says and not a prob at all ..

Sure ya got the spacers right .. put the axel in from the correct side? torqued it in the 2 step process for the IDS ?

Something's not right. When you torque the axle it draws down on the bearing, spacers, and cam adjusters. Are you sure, when you are torquing the axle, you aren't turning the the cams in, and not noticing it? I use a wrench on the left side when torquing the right with a torque wrench.

Thorns

I had the rear bearings go out on my 08 RG @ 16,000 miles so it would be a good idea to replace the bearings .

Did they get powder coat on the outer bearing race and it's wearing off and making the axle loosen, check the torque the next you loosen the nut to see if it's still @ 105.

Back