free website stats program Awe Man! | Harley Davidson Forums

Awe Man!

Ken S.

I just replaced my speedo with one I picked up from a swat meet. Works great. But, the dumb guy who had it wrote the price in magic marker on the glass/plastic face. Can't get it off.

Tried goof off, alcohol, nada nothin'. any suggestions.

Ken

Alcohol should remove it but if it is a glass lens which I doubt, lacquer thinners will remove it. If it is a plastic lens, the lacquer thinner will attack the plastic.

Be very careful with anything that could be abrasive in the least on lenses. There is a hard coating much the same as on the windshields and once you go through it, you have to polish the rest off or it shows up.

I always try a chemical removal on anything before resorting to an abrasive.

There are various polishes made for acrylic headlights available at any auto parts store, they will remove the marker without distorting the image your speedo will be clear. I have also used these products to remove scratches in the windshield of my bike with no distortion when you look through it:)

There are various polishes made for acrylic headlights available at any auto parts store, they will remove the marker without distorting the image your speedo will be clear. I have also used these products to remove scratches in the windshield of my bike with no distortion when you look through it:)

Good call...I completely forgot about this stuff. I recently just did a set of headlights on a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. You basically sand off the sealer on the plastic, clean it up real good, and then reseal it. It worked on car headlights that are plastic...although they are probably much thicker. I suppose if all else failed you could try it....

I believe it was called Crystal View Headlight Restorer.....

Oh and btw....this was my 100th post....who would of thunk it??

Last edited:
Simple Green all purpose cleaner.
simple-green.jpg

I had black and blue Sharpie (permanent marker) all over the lockers in my garage. Tried everything, even auto body shop metal prep.

When I was cleaning around the garage I hit some of the marker spots with Simple Green. I came back to the garage several minutes later and the ink had all run off the lockers. Paper towel just wiped it right off.
Many bikers use Simple green as a presoak on their bikes before washing or just hosing off.

Last edited:
Back