free website stats program Avoiding footpeg scraping | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoiding footpeg scraping

MelUK

Just wondering if anyone has any advice here.

I stuck some Diamond Black pegs on the 09 Street Bob 2 or 3 weeks ago. They look great, as they should at $80 a set, but yesterday I flicked the bike a tiny bit going through a small roundabout and heard the dreaded scraping sound I remember from my sportster. True enough, pulled over, and a quarter of an inch of the peg end had ground clean off.

I know a load of guys wear scrapes as a badge of honour, but to be honest I try to keep my bikes nice and this just gets to me. One day I might spend the $80 and put another set on, but not until I can stop it scraping so easily. I wouldn't mind so much if I was cranking it over through the twisties but this was straight over a roundabout at 15mph!

I think the Diamond Black pegs are a bit longer than stock. I wonder if that's why Harley list them as not compatible with some bikes - they just catch that bit earlier and look (EDITED) once they do.

Anyway, enough moaning. Is there anything at all I can do to lessen the scraping, or is it just part of the bike being low? Would stiffening the suspension up to max help, or is that really only for pillion use? Or even sticking on replacement suspension? I don't want to alter the look of the bike, but I just want it not to scrape at about 15 degrees off vertical!

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Well... I'm all in favor of draggin' hard parts. You would need to change the ride height of the bike. Taller shocks and so on. Or, not lean so aggressively. Or, change the pegs...

I have the same problem with mine, first decent turn I took on the bike and you know what happened. Anyway, after I got them I found out Harley sells them with the wear peg on the end. It says it is for the Sportster only, but not sure if it might be able to be made to fit the Dyna Black Diamond with Wear Peg

I have the same problem with mine, first decent turn I took on the bike and you know what happened. Anyway, after I got them I found out Harley sells them with the wear peg on the end. It says it is for the Sportster only, but not sure if it might be able to be made to fit the Dyna Black Diamond with Wear Peg

Those XR1200 pegs would be perfect, but I had a quick chat with my dealer and he's confident that XR1200 pegs won't fit a Dyna. Shame.

What he did give me though, is the part number for the standard pegs - 33032-99. These are only £10 each (singly I guess) so I'll probably wait until the Diamond Blacks are destroyed and start buying the cheap and cheerful ones in bulk and swap them every time they get scuffed up! :laugh

Quick fix is to crank up preload, change pegs to not so wide version of the same style...let geometry work in your favor by tucking things in closer, adjusting long term ride height slightly, an inch or two makes a big difference...and of course do it within your desired capability and resources.

Those XR1200 pegs would be perfect, but I had a quick chat with my dealer and he's confident that XR1200 pegs won't fit a Dyna. Shame.

That stinks, hopefully HD will realize the need for these for Dynas with mid-controls, mine will be going forward at the end of the year, and I think that will alleviate the problem, since my highway pegs never scrape. Now I just have to watch for my exhaust, cause with the old pegs once they wore down, my exhaust started scraping (something I found out later the Thunderheader is known for on my bike...Guess I just will have to slow down in the turns or put a plate there as others have done.

Quick fix is to crank up preload, change pegs to not so wide version of the same style...let geometry work in your favor by tucking things in closer, adjusting long term ride height slightly, an inch or two makes a big difference...and of course do it within your desired capability and resources.

Cranking up the preload will not change the ride height of the bike, it does stiffen up the rear suspension. But it will change the amount of suspension sag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(motorcycle) Here a link to a quick explanation, go to the pre-load adjustment section. It kinda applies to harley's but for those with only rear adjustments, its value is limited.

Be less aggressive when cornering until you decide on the fix that is best for you.

SledDog you are correct as usual. I only meant by stiffening preload, it only helps if during the turn your weight has "sacked" the suspension, as doing other things like braking or hitting bumps...yes it will not help very much to the ride height and gain will only take up suspension slack slightly...BUT every little bit helps.

Hanging off in a turn also helps by being able to stand the bike up more vertically in a turn...but this is only useful for riders with mid position pegs, and again goes back to riding style to compensate for ill handling or dragging hard parts having a great influence on how the bike handles when aggressive in a turn...eh?!!:D

have the same problem on my wide glide, put on V&H big radius pipes and drag them sometimes, scares the heck out of my wife, I really hear about it when it happens

Well... I'm all in favor of draggin' hard parts. You would need to change the ride height of the bike. Taller shocks and so on. Or, not lean so aggressively. Or, change the pegs...

SledDog, haven't seen ya around in a while, wondering if your going to Leesburg?

Last edited by a moderator:
wow i ride like a looney and have yet to touch my pegs down i have the black diamond pegs also and i have the bike lowered, maybe i take my corners differently

when your flying 12 inches off the ground ya don't have a draging problem!!!!!LOL

Back