free website stats program Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck?

My two cents. I bought this '99' dyna as a project. It had been down and had a salvadge title. I stripped it to bare frame and went from there. My point is that while working on this machine I found so called mechanic tracks that would turn your blood cold. There are people riding bikes that have never been down but have been "maintained" by the guy riding it. Now a lot of people can do their own work and do it right but there also are a lot that should never get close to a wrench. The latter ones working on brakes, suspension, lights, tires and so on are a menance. A bike repaired properly is not a problem even with major repairs.

years ago a truck hit my old honda when it was parked outside my work place,front fender was bent,sorted it out then riding home a work friend drove pass & shouted rear wheel?carried on home checked rear wheel but it was swing arm bent,then i took tank off the frame had split at the headstock,bike written off, truck driver got away ??since then have been very weary on crash damaged bikes,

Try thinking about your time to sell, when you have to explain it to a buyer.
BTW car fax works with bikes too.

I'm shopping for my first HD. I came across a bike that looks mint. The owner has been very honest & open w/ me. It's a 2009 Dyna that had 2 major incidents: first, it was backed into by a truck 2 years ago & then about 7 months ago the owner ran it into a wall. All repairs have been done by an HD dealership (I've seen & have copies of the work orders) & after the most recent incident, the bike spent several months w/ HD before it was done. Like I said, the bike looks mint. Should I stay away?

As for buying wrecks, I bought a 97 ultra in 98 that had been wrecked. Did have the bike checked out by my local indy. Frame, tracking, motor and trany were all in good shape. At the time I purchased this bike, dealers were adding 3 to 4k to the MSRP of the bikes they had. it was hard to get bikes, used were as high as new. everyone thought that this would last and prices would stay high. well I got a good deal on this bike and rode it many miles befor parting ways. We put about 65k on it when I sold it. Can't beat and old EVO. Yes I would take this bike back, even though it is pushing 100k. and yes I did take a loss when I sold it. but like I said most everyone that bought a bike in the late ninetys paid too much for the bike. Now the wreck issue. If there was no frame damage most everything else is real easy to replace. Wrecks are not something just anyone would want to buy, but if you are planning on keeping the bike and its been put back together by a good rebuilder, why not? My wife drove a rebuilt Ford Explorer and she put nearly 100k on it and out daughter put an other 10k before giving it to a friend who's car was in the tornado. He is still driving it (1997 model) As far as buying wrecks, its not for everybody. It pays to know the dude who put it together, and have it checked out real well. Not by a dealer, his job is to sell you one of his bikes. Just my rant on buying wrecks. Oh by the way, I am driving a 05 Jimmy Duramax that was wrecked with 56K and it now has 95k and still going. If you buy a wreck just know its best to keep because you will take a hit selling, unless someone wants it. That's what happened to my Ultra, my buddy wanted it real bad, we were moving so I let him have it, and its still going. And no he will not sell it.

Back