free website stats program Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoid Buying A Bike That Has Been In A Wreck?

Cheers to everyone for their input. I'm definitely going to pass on the bike. I don't have the background to be able to tinker on the bike if I had to.
The seller was asking close to $11k on an '09 dyna & title was still clean.

For that price, its not even a debate. Again , run don't walk away from it.

It depends, the bike may only have sheet metal damage , the truck that back into the bike may have just bumped the bike hard enough to tip it over and dent some sheet metal and mirrors along with other minor items. The running into a wall may have been slow enough to just tweak the fork tubes and dent some sheet metal. I got hit in the rear end while I was stopped at a stop light and I had $3000 in damage done to my bike and that was in 2010 and my bike was repaired and I am still riding it and the bike handles like new and looks like new, is my bike worth less because of that, NO I don't think so.

It depends, the bike may only have sheet metal damage , the truck that back into the bike may have just bumped the bike hard enough to tip it over and dent some sheet metal and mirrors along with other minor items. The running into a wall may have been slow enough to just tweak the fork tubes and dent some sheet metal. I got hit in the rear end while I was stopped at a stop light and I had $3000 in damage done to my bike and that was in 2010 and my bike was repaired and I am still riding it and the bike handles like new and looks like new, is my bike worth less because of that, NO I don't think so.

Excellent point!!!

I wrecked my ulta July 1 of 11. $12k to repair at HD dealer. I have put 10K more miles on it since then and it performes just like it did before the accident. I put it through some riding courses before I put it back on the road. My best friend (wife) and I ride it a lot. It's always a crap shoot buying a used bike. You can get a good deal sometimes and other times you could get burned. If price was right, I'd take the deal.

It can also cost you a boatload of money. Not to mention all the grief and lost riding time.

I don't see how it would cost you a boat load of money buying a bike that had some sheet metal replaced a long with other minor parts. If the repairs are done right then there is nothing to worry about. I would think it would cost more money to by a bike that never been down and having to do engine, tranny or electrical repairs because the previous owner beat on his bike or didn't maintain the bike properly or both. If the bike was beat on it is easy to shine it up and sell it to a unsuspecting buyer, IMO there are more people that bought a used bike and ended up with mechanical or electrical problems then people that had problems with a properly maintained used bike that been down and repaired properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how it would cost you a boat load of money buying a bike that had some sheet metal replaced a long with other minor parts. If the repairs are done right then there is nothing to worry about. I would think it would cost more money to by a bike that never been down and having to do engine, tranny or electrical repairs because the previous owner beat on his bike or didn't maintain the bike properly or both. If the bike was beat on it is easy to shine it up and sell it to a unsuspecting buyer, IMO there are more people that bought a used bike and ended up with mechanical or electrical problems then people that had problems with a properly maintained used bike that been down and repaired properly.

Very good point!! I would much prefer to buy a bike that had cosmetic damage from bring down compared to a bike with severe motor or trans problems from poor maintenance or being beat even though it has a clean title
I have bought bikes with body damage. Easy fix and saved tons of money

Back