free website stats program Avoid being rearended | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Avoid being rearended

A local High School teacher was killed this past weekend on his bike. A SUV did not see him and plowed into the back of his bike, causing him to run into the car in front of him. Beside someone turning left in front of me, this is my biggest worry.

This what I try to do at a stop;

Stop with bike in gear, foot on the rear brake. (Ready to go and more rear lights)

Set myself up with a path to escape(do not pull right up to the car infront of you, angle bike to one side or the other)

Watch rear view mirror until I know it is safe.

Lightup the back of my bike, Converted turning signal to red lens running lamps.

Here is the local story, prayers to his family and friends.

Charlotte teacher dies in motorcycle crash - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
Jonas, can you say how to convert turn signals to running lights?

Thanks
Bill

I worry more about left turners than rear-enders. I'm strongly concidering the dratted headlight modulator. Too many blind drivers in the last couple of weeks...

Rear-enders are typically distracted (texting or radio adjusting). No amount of flashing will do them. That being said, I have the HD running light plug in. It works great. I also have a blue dot tail light. It looks just weird enough to get some attention.

Enjoy,
rich P

I'm strongly concidering the dratted headlight modulator.

Enjoy,
rich P

Hey Rich, I also considered a headlight modulator because I think they stand out like a sore thumb. But I decided against it after reading about this guy who had one and some lady in a cage pulled out right in front of him. He nailed the cage and afterward asked the lady "Didn't you see me"? And she said, "Yes, and you flashed me your lights to tell me to go"..

So now what do you do. Just can't win.

happened a mate of mine recently and he ended up into the side of a bus - he was ok but if he had been pushed in front of it well need i say anymore

Back