free website stats program Average cost to replace fuel pump? | Harley Davidson Forums

Average cost to replace fuel pump?

dsjnix

We have a 98 Roadking Classic. Think the fuel pump was fried when we jumped bike off from a car battery, because fuel pump working before that but not now. If we go to an independent mechanic instead of dealership, what should we expect to pay if it is the fuel pump?

Have you checked the fuse and all connections before throwing $$$ at a whole new pump?

Like Doc says, unlikely it is the pump. Should have fried the electronics before the fuel pump.

Check all the ground connections and the fuses as indicated above. Likely you will find that is your problem.

If somehow it is your fuel pump, that is a pretty easy replacement. Just have to get to the cover plate, remove the 10 or so screws holding that down, and the unhinge the pump assy so that you can remove it more easily. Once it is sorta loose, cut the clamp and take the hose off the back side so the wad can come out of the tank easier.

New pump is around a hundred I think. Might get it cheaper on-line through Zanotti's. If you are pulling that stuff out of the tank, definitely replace the filter and pressure regulator. Use a new gasket/seal under the plate too.

TQ

I can't see how jumping the battery would burn out the fuel pump. Like the Dr. mentioned, double check that fuse. It may be Toast.:p

I can tell you from experience. My 2008 Electra needed a new fuel tank do to dirt in paint. The tech jumped the fuel pump to continually run to drain tank. After installing new tank bike would not start. Guess what. He fried ecm from jumping fuel pump. So just replacing pump may be a wasted effort. Dio first using the great advice from guys on this site.

ok, we changed all the fuses. The bike still wants to crank but wont, although after changing the fuses we heard the fuel pump kick on once, but then no more after that. any other suggestions on what to check next?

ok, we changed all the fuses. The bike still wants to crank but wont, although after changing the fuses we heard the fuel pump kick on once, but then no more after that. any other suggestions on what to check next?

Was the fuse for the fuel pump blown? Did it blow again? If so, I would trace the wire looking for a burnt section or pinched wire.

TQ

The bike still wants to crank but wont,

Won't what.? Crank or START? It still wants to crank but won't? Need more detail. The pump is suppose to turn ON for a couple of seconds,, then OFF again by Design.
The ONLY time the Pump RUNS is when the ECM sees a Continuous Crank trigger (engine is running).

none of the fuses appeared to be bad but we changed them all anyway. the fuel pump came on the first time we tried after changing all the fuses and putting in new battery, but now the fuel pump does not come on. The bike cranks and is definately getting power, but like it is not getting gas to keep it going. other than fuses, what should we check next?

Back