free website stats program Aux/Pursuit Switches: Repurpose or remove | Harley Davidson Forums

Aux/Pursuit Switches: Repurpose or remove

kgillette

Im looking for ideas on what the do with all these extra switches.

currently the pursuit switch (fully "on" over) activates my high beams. I have to trace down thisw wiring, because if i use my headlight switch, the head light flickers on and off. But i digress.

What have you done with your switches?

in typing this, the only thing that has come to mind is make one an on/off for a charger port for a cellphone/ect.

After looking things over, I notice that my pursuit lights are now tieded into my high beam power/connector. The downside of this, is that when i have the pursuit lights on my high beam indicator light is actived as well as the pursuit indicator light on the tach. This re-wiring was done by the place I bought the bike from.

Is there a different way to power the pursuit switch so that the high beam indicator light doesn't come on when Im using the pursuit lights?

first, I'm a bit surprised the red switces do anything at all, i assumed they had to be decomisioned before being removed from duty. i had an 01 flhpi....i happened across a set of standard controls on the net....bought a manual and got rid of the red switches all together. it is actually quite simple if you have the schematic, just have to wire into the connector behind the headlight as it shows for a flht, and tie the purple wire back to itself to get rid of clutch safety thing... and check under your seat...its common for them to do a sloppy job of removing the rear equipment, and there is a bundle of wires that need protected or cleaned up

Thanks for the info. Im looking for a diagram now, I dont have access to the manuals available through the "quick links"
I took a ride to utica this weekend VIA Backish roads in the ADKs and had to go through about 50-60miles worth of whindy moutain roads with just the passing lights, and my windshield which is too high (so thats gonna be taken off for anymore night rides). but i did take the headlight light apart and all the wiring looked "tight" so my next step will be to remove the seat, things have been to hectic, so fingers crossed i'll be doing this tonight.

can your passing lamps be turned on and off by the little toggle switch that is mounted right below the handle bar clamp? seems its on the left side, but its been a couple years.

i tore stuff apart again, examined stuff closure. Everything (headlights/passing lights) are wired to a relay/flasher. So when i put it all back in (unchanged) the highbeam indicator didnt come on when i turned my pursuit lights on, but then as i drove it flickered on and off. So i think my issue is in that relay/flasher. I am going to print off the wiring diagram and figure out how to simplify it all.

they say there is a seperate manual for police bikes...i never had it, just keep in mind when you are done your wiring will look exactly like a factory bike. on my 01 all the "police" stuff was basically added on to the factory loom. all my books are in a box somewhere, as we recently moved. i will look for it later today. everything that i changed was up in the nacelle, and i dont recall a flasher up there on mine.....

I'll snap a picture of it. I think it was added by the mechanic that did the "DE-policing"

Since taking it apart to look (and verifying that everything was tight) the issues are sparatic now, working and not working when going over bumps and such in the road.
So once I get a day off of work, I plan of swapping out the relay, or removing it complexly.

thanks for all the help so far.

Well I traced my issue to a loose wire (high beam) going into the relay, which burnt out at the connection and in the process blew a fuse. The pursuits/passing lights still worked with the blown fuse and all the modifications done removed.

So i got a new relay (brought old into parts store and said i need this), recreated burnt connection end, and replaced the fuse. my headlamp high beam indicator comes on with the pursuit lamps as they did, I will be going for a ride after dark to see if this wire was the cause of my high-beam cutting in and out.

If it fixed my issue of the high beam cutting in and out while riding. I will then make changes to the setup and remove that relay/whatever part and see if I can simplify my wiring.

can your passing lamps be turned on and off by the little toggle switch that is mounted right below the handle bar clamp? seems its on the left side, but its been a couple years.

Nope, this one is for accessories now, flipping it on/off seems to have no affect on anything i have noticed

thanks though :bigsmiley12:

Back