free website stats program Automotive tire? | Harley Davidson Forums

Automotive tire?

gamspaugh

I riding buddy just installed a 195/65/15 Car tire on the rear of his Metric Cruiser, He claims that the ride is smooth and cornering is not an issue, He sent me a pic of this and it looks like it belongs, Has anyone ever done that on a Big Harley?

Every car tire I have ever seen has flat thread. I can't see how it will grab in the wet on a curve.

Kiss of Death if you ask me.

What good could possibly come from that? Maybe some additional wear life but, in my opinion, not even close to worth it for the risk involved.

As others have said, automotive tires are NOT motorcycle tires. They will run cold and hard as a rock (never getting up to temperature) and as stated do not have the profile for cornering. Maybe the bike is good for show, but certainly not for go...and I hope his insurance is paid up, though it may be pointless if any mishap occurs, cause it is likely the insurance company could weasel out of any damages.

A buddy of mine has a corvette tire on his bike, its much bigger then what you describe... but it is the scariest thing I have ever ridden, very unstable. You can get bike tires in any size you want now, there just isn't a good reason to ruin the handling.

I am far from an expert, but the way it was explained to me, cars and motorcycles corner entirely differently, hence the need for motorcycle tires. Hopefully, this won't come back and bite your buddy....

Car tyres have a soft sidewall and a hard tread compound to give good grip and long life of the tread
motorcycle tyres have a firm sidewall and soft tread compound to get grip
i think it'll handle worse than a 70s jap super bike in fact be life threatening on every curve as the sidewall collapses

Brian

I found some interesting reading on the diff. between automotive and MC tires. A little technical and some spots over my head, but I think I caught the drift. Like Hobbit said, there are alot of GW, and apparently kawasaki riders that think this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Alot of who said they have ridden deals gap and the automotive tire is fantastic.

Still not for me :newsmile055:

Attachments

• mcintroe[1].pdf
    453.3 KB · Views: 34
Back