free website stats program Automatic compression releases | Harley Davidson Forums

Automatic compression releases

jlbeebe

Anyone know how to check to see if my automatic compression releases are working? I have an 09 heritage softail with a screamin eagle stage 4 kit in it. It has screamin eagle 110 heads and they are supposed to have automatic compression releases but it seems to me like it turns over a little slugish.

I have the manual release and mine still turns a little hard. You should know if there not working, it will really crank hard. Hows your Batt?

I have the manual release and mine still turns a little hard. You should know if there not working, it will really crank hard. Hows your Batt?

Take loose both plug wires, one plug out and screw in a compression tester.... It should PUMP low pressure when you kick it over to start. (Less than 160 lbs?)

I Have a KING 09 and the original battery... I just replaced MY 1st battery for the same reason,,,,,,Sluggish Starting. THEN NO START.

Lucky it would not start at the Start of my ride..... Easy push back into the garage was better than a distant ride out and NOT back.

IF you have the same 09 battery in your bike, Chances are (like Jeff asks) it is TIME for a new one.

I usually PREACH 2 to 3 years and then you are on borrowed time.

Mine lasted longer... Can't believe it... I don't have that bike (KING) on a tender but my seldom ridden Sport is and it has a fully charged battery.

The King Doesn't sit long before a ride. Most of my rides are a couple hundred miles out and back, so it does stay charged. (two full days of rest for the King is unusual):D:D:D

That is one reason my battery lasted so long.... SO,,,,,RIDE That Bike....

signed....BUBBIE

Correct me if I am wrong, aren't the Automatic releases controlled via a signal from the ECM? That said, I would start out with a compression test as Bubbie said, BUT I would make sure battery is good first, have it load tested first and fully charged so there are no false readings and over heating of starter

Thanks guys,
Yes this is the original battery. Just replaced it last night and it starts much better. I probably should have started with that first.

Ok now you guys have me thinking. My bike has the original battery in it also. I guess I had better get it tested soon. I do leave it on tender when I am not riding.

When gel batteries die they go quick and completely and mine would not accept a jump or light the neutral indicator

Yup and mine caused relays under the seat to chatter like crazy, and it would lose everything like lights, indicators etc. as soon as i hit the start button. Let it sit for a few minutes and i would get lights back, neutral indicator and so on. New battery cured it.
WAP.gif

Back