free website stats program Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment

I installed the factory primary auto adjuster and after about 45k miles I haven't had any problems. The tentioner is a 2 stage tentioner. The primary adjustment uses the teeth ( one wedge is spring loaded) the second adjustment (also automatic is a non-locking adjustment that as a chain wears unevenly will allow for a give and take adjustment as tighter and looser sections of chain pass over the tensioner. I never have been able to figure how you could loosen it without opening up the primary as those teeth are not going to back off.

The only way to loosen it would be to remove it, install a tie strap after compressing it and reinstall it cutting the tie strap, you would be back to original set up

Yes it will, but unless you have quite a bit of chain noise in the primary, it's not really necessary as normal downshift braking allows the mechanism to tighten. If you overdo it, the chain ends up over tight

Back