free website stats program Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment

glider

Veteran Member
Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all. Do this with the engine at normal operating temps.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Data,

My profile should say 2007 FLSTC. I have always been annoyed with 5th gear noise. I went to Spectro GL5 per your adivce. BIG differnce in noise, smoother shifting and YES, I discovered there is a NEUTRAL just between 1st and 2nd. But 5th gear noise , although significantly improved was still annoying.

This evening I tried your tip on Primary Chain Tensioning. This tip not only silenced the "valve train like" noise, it seemed to eliminiate that annoying 5th gear noise (intially I thought it was just my imagination). After an hour of riding I headed home to try a run with the windsheild on - I cannot beleive the difference .... windsheild on and 5th gear noise is virtually eliminated after following your tip on tensiong the Primary Chain.

Is it possible others are experiencing an amplification of 5th gear noise through the Primary?

Glad it helped with the noise. It's possible that others are experiencing the same problem and this will help them too.

I had a valve train like "tic tic tic...." and a sporadic "clank clank" in my '08 XL1200C. I was freaking out thinking something was loose and about to go bye bye. I was told by my salesman that it was just Harley's "personality" and I should expect it to get louder after my 1000 mile service. Well I did the 1000 mile service last week and sure enough it did. I just read this post and went out and tightened up my primary a bit more. WOW! It's almost gone!

It used to drive me nuts. After taking Mr. Datas advice and installing the IDS it has been greatly reduced. I still hear valve noise but while I was at Gettysburg bike week I was sitting on the square having a beverage :44:and watching the bikes go by. I heard some that made no valve noise at all and I heard some that were louder than mine so I am not too concerned about it. Besides after 8000 miles I think if there were a problem It would have manifested itself by now. Just as a precaution I took it to the dealer and had them look at it so there was a service record in case anything went wrong.:s

My ride is an 08 ultra classic with 3k on it, nosies have definitley gotten louder (what i thought are valve train) when the rpm's are around 2200. The 5th gear whine has increased as well. Do you think i should try this now with 3k on it or wait a few more thousand? Thanks for your replies

What is is going to do in a few more thousand that it will not do now?

Do it now and then again in a few thousand.

Mr. Data,
Not clear, do you let off the throttle or hold it there until it slows down before pulling the clutch?

Also, I'll have the dealer pick up the bike and not ride the 23 miles, concerning the oil migrating to the primary case.

Al

how hard on the rear brake jam it home or? my tic tic seems to be getting louder and im think it is the primary so im going to try it

Back