free website stats program audio system to plug a smartphone | Harley Davidson Forums

audio system to plug a smartphone

fabrozor

Hi,

I used the search engine but did not find an answer to my question so here it is.

I have a 2005 Electra Standard without audio system.

Currently, i'm listening to music with a headset i put on my hears under my helmet. Then i plug the headset wiring (via a mini-jack plug) onto my Smartphone (HTC Desire).
It's ok, but it could be better and more comfortable with 2 speakers in the batwing fairing.

I don't want to buy an expensive Radio/CD/mp3/player i don't need. My smartphone can already play radio and 12 Gigabits of mp3 music.
I just want to add 2 speakers in the bat fairing, + an amplifier.
Then i could plug my smartphone on it with a mini-jack to mini-jack cable.

I took a look at the J&M Rokker serie but i read it's designed to plug onto a Radio/CD player. (i can be wrong, maybe my bad english speaking did not help me to anderstand the product description correctly).

Do you have a product in mind which could fit my need ?

Thank you for your infos.

Ebay,look for mini amp that will accept 3.5 plug for your phone. Then buy a set of speakers and put the amp in the glove box. Wire following instructionsAll for around 250.00 American

thank you Fritz, i'll take a look at "mini amp" keyword.
(ps : no glove box on my electra standard. I'll try the batwing fairing or saddlebag).

Oh i see the 45 watts per 4 channels can be "bridged" to 90 watts per 2 channels.
It should do the job.

What kind of speaker would you install with this ?

I have Polk Audio MM521 in the fairing and need more power, they handle 15-100 watts, so I'm looking at this upgrade. I have an Alpine head unit putting out 17 per channel, not enough. They say 45 per channel is good, I'm also pushing 2 MM651 in the saddle bags.

Last edited:
Hi harley@16,

Your informations about 100 watt being not enough is not good news for me as a took a look at low price mini amplifiers and they do not handle the 1/4 of that.

Lately i was interrested by mini amps :
- Lepai LP-2020A+
- Caliber ca75.2

I went to my local sound system dealer and he has an Alpine KTP-445U. But he said to me you can plug only Alpine material on it. While on the Alpine video i understood it was "universal". Anyway the Alpine price is higher than my budget allows me.

For the speakers i'm sure you'll get powerfull speakers your Alpine amp will handle.

How does it sounds on your bike while you drive and listen to music for it leads you to say that you need more power in your audio system. As i never had an audio system on any of my bikes i wonder if you hear an acceptable sound or if you can't hear nothing with a mini amp like i'm interrested with (see above).

+ how big can a speaker be in a 2005 FLHTI fairing ?

+ how big can a speaker be in a 2005 FLHTI fairing ?[/QUOTE]
The new version of the Alpine amp is universal and the owners manual shows instructions for an iPod connection.
I have a 07 FLHT Standard and I think the size is the same, it takes a 5.25" speaker which is what I got for mine, the Polk Audio MM521 series. The MM stands for moble monitor, they are marine grade so water shouldn't hurt them although I don't take any chances there.
They sound pretty good with the head unit I have but you need volume at freeway speed and they do ok but occationally I hear some distortion and have learned that the cause is typically under powered amp.
Recently I added 2 6.75" Polks in the saddle bag lids but the sound doesn't seem to carry up as well as the faring speakers project although I get a more surround sound effect which I like.
There is so much noise on the road, wind, engine, other vehicles tires, etc that much of the quality of the music gets lost so I'm looking at this to get more clarity at high volume. We'll see how it works.
Harley

Last edited:
Back