free website stats program Audio Sound Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Audio Sound Problem

landman

I decided to upgrade my speaker system on my 06' Electra Glide Classic and after talking with several people I decided to buy a pair of Biketronics Titan XL speakers. I heard nothing but great reviews from those who own these new speakers but once I got them and installed them I was not impressed. I contacted Biketronics, they verified that the speakers were connected correct. I told them that when I was riding once the volume level on the radio goes past half way there is no volume increase that can be heard. I do have the AVC turned up all the way and I downloaded and installed the new update for the Harmon Kardon Stereo from Hog Tunes per biketronics request thinking this would fix the problem. I listen to an Ipod Touch linked through the AUX port on my radio. If anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions for "the fix" it would be greatly appreciated.

God's Peace, Landman

Man, that's a bummer. I just replaced my speakers with Hog-Tunes, along with the Tweeter Pod and truthfully, I had to turn the AVC down to 3 bars, the dang thing was getting too loud at highways speed.

Are you sure you bought the correct speakers for your bike? Sounds like an impedance problem to me. Hopefully someone will have the answer for you.
:USA

Did this problem not exist before changing the speaks?
Does the symptom stay the same with a CD or radio?

I know you said that the wiring was confirmed but here's one thing you might want to try: Swap the pos. and neg. leads on ONE SPEAKER only. You see, a speaker is fed AC voltage (alternating current). When the current is in a positive state, it pushes the cone outward, and when the current is in a negative state, it pulls the cone inward. Swapping the pos/neg connections on a loudspeaker will reverse this action. If you have one speaker connected one way and the other connected the opposite way, what will happen is a phenomenon called noise canceling. One speaker is pushing while the other is pulling, both at the same (or close to) amplitude and what you get is...zero. THIS can certainly create the problem you describe!

I did contact biketronics when i noticed this and questioned them if I had received the correct speakers. They said the speakers where designed for my bike. I know that the factory speakers are 2 ohms and I wondered if they sent me speakers with a different ohm rating. NOT SURE. Thanks for taking time to help.

If the factory speaks are 2 ohm, you could connect ANY speaker 2 ohm or higher without any problem. Connecting a higher ohm speaker would be about the same as screwing in a lower wattage lightbulb. It'll work, you just won't get as much out of it. That said, I'm sure the impedance of the biketronics speaks is not your problem. Again, I would check them to make sure they are both connected in phase (what I described in my previous post).

I did contact biketronics when i noticed this and questioned them if I had received the correct speakers. They said the speakers where designed for my bike. I know that the factory speakers are 2 ohms and I wondered if they sent me speakers with a different ohm rating. NOT SURE. Thanks for taking time to help.

Call biketronics back and ask them what the speaker resistance is for this model and verify that with the output resistance of your radio. (Check radio manual if you have one).

Also check speaker polarity as previously posted.

This might be too obvious, but is the volume on your Ipod adjusted up? If your Ipod volume is way low, you will not get any significant volume through your stereo.

Back