free website stats program ATF for primary oil | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF for primary oil

ATF, your choice, it is a hydraulic oil with friction modifiers, in auto transmissions it is pumped with pressure by the torque converter and front and or rear pump the added cooling for the clutch packs and bands is a big plus, dont forget about the cooler in the radiator and external coolers to keep the temps down. Now, why would you want to use this in an enclosed hostile primary on a stock clutch set up. I understand Barnett uses it for there clutch packs and have no doubt they have done the R and D but IMO The MOCO has not endorsed this idea, JMO NUFF SAID, Capital Jack:s

Read it again Hoople, I'm not sure about the Stator, adjustment shoes etc...................I have ZERO doubt that it lubricates just fine.

BladeMan I know.. I was just joking around with you. It is an interesting thread.
I had a Honda once that used AFT in a stick shift 5 speed transmission. I was amazed when I changed the fluid. I thought it was a type-O in the service manual but it wasn't. Never had a bit of trouble with the trans...

BladeMan, if I ever stated what I used for engine oil I would loose Jack as a friend and I would get laughed off this site. But it does not mean I am wrong in using that oil for my oil of choice.

If you believe in ATF, I would use it and not talk about it just like I don't talk about the engine oil I use.

You will never catch me in an engine oil discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
BladeMan I know.. I was just joking around with you. It is an interesting thread.
I had a Honda once that used AFT in a stick shift 5 speed transmission. I was amazed when I changed the fluid. I thought it was a type-O in the service manual but it wasn't. Never had a bit of trouble with the trans...

I do have ATF in my primary now and it did help considerably with the shifting because the clutch releases much better than it did with syn3. But I will admit that I picked up a qt of formula+ that I will try next time I service the Wide Glide. I am not at all concerned with chain lubrication because of all the other vehicles that use it and run hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems. But I am a little concerned about the adjustment shoe and the possible wear on it.

BladeMan, if I ever stated what I used for engine oil I would loose Jack as a friend and I would get laughed off this site. But it does not mean I am wrong in using that oil for my oil of choice.

If you believe in ATF, I would use it and not talk about it just like I don't talk about the engine oil I use.

I'm the same way, I think lots are way too worried about what to use. Most modern oils are very good at what they do. But it does seem that the biggest naysayers about most any subject are those who have NEVER tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

How can you say that, It is your bike and I know how well you take care of it and I also know you would choose wisely when it comes to oil, As far as friend ship not to worry there, I use HD 360 and am not ashamed to say so, Let the laughing begin, I have racked up well over 200k on HD motors with HD oil, Capital Jack

Back