free website stats program ATF for primary oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ATF for primary oil

I agree with whats being said here and it makes sense to use a product thats made for the primary case. This is prooving my suspision that not many people use or have used ATF in thier primarys because there are no actual experience replies. ATF in the primary sounds like a big myth to me and I doubt many have done it. As sick as this sounds I love a good oil thread. It can make for a lot of interesting reading. I'm in (EDIT) Afghanistan and need something for entertainment.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

You won't get many replies from those who use it because WE get tired of arguing with those who won't even try it to see if it works. I have used it for years ands have never had any problems. Its like starting a car tire thread, those who wont do it say it wont work, those that have tried it swear by it.

Ya, I've noticed that the few people who post on this and other forums that they use ATF in thier primarys usually get negetive feedback. I also find it interesting that I haven't read a negative post from anyone using ATF. I myself probably will not use it because I'm not comfortable using a non-OEM recomended fluid. Thanks for everyones replies. This is a great forum.

I have ran it in my bike in the past. It improved shifting. I also recently installed a Barnett Kevlar Clutch. Barnett recommended it in their instructions.

So it is not crazy to use it and a company like Barnett is not going to recommend something that will damage a motorcycle. They would have some liability. Think about it.

They use ATF in transfer cases that are chain-driven, my S-10 had 187,000 miles on 5-speed that you could shift up or down without using clutch with no grinding. My 1969 Dodge Charger 4-speed has ATF in it per factory. I'm not convinced ATF would hurt anything at all in a primary case, lighter oil cools better, so why not?
wilks3

Last edited:
I agree with whats being said here and it makes sense to use a product thats made for the primary case. This is prooving my suspision that not many people use or have used ATF in thier primarys because there are no actual experience replies. ATF in the primary sounds like a big myth to me and I doubt many have done it. As sick as this sounds I love a good oil thread. It can make for a lot of interesting reading. I'm in (EDIT) Afghanistan and need something for entertainment.

Please read this...

A Frientdly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

If you went to a dealer and told them you wanted to go to Synthetic oil. They would likely recommend / sell / install the "same" Screemin Eagle Synthetic for Engine, Transmission, and Primary. You can find many complaints about the Screamin Eagle oil in the primary. But the dealer will recommend it. So what is designed for the bike or suggested by the dealer is not always the best. ATF in the primary is not a myth and nothing new. It has been used in Harleys for decades.

Notice you have not read about someone using ATF, then stopping because it ruined their primary chain, clutches, sprockets. Or because their bike would not shift right with it. You will find people tell you not to use it because it is ATF.

Or... use plain ol hyd oil. ATF is hyd oil with red dye and high detergents with whatever the maker says is best for a particular auto transmission.
Next primary service I'm going to use hyd oil and see.
wilks3

Not all clutch friction material is created equal.

it can be tailored to the application, and the lubricant to be used. No reason to think that an automobile tranny, an allison, and a HD clutch all wondrously use the same material. Might, but I can't see it.

So, auto trans uses atf and has cltches means little to me.

But, Barnett clutch says use ATF, Then use ATF. Period.

Still, stock primaries are apparently very forgiving. People run all sorts of stuff in them.

I run Formula+ at the moment. But actually prefer 75W-90 gear lube.

But then, people run ATF, 10W-40, 20W-50, Formula+, etc etc etc.

BTW, ATF is about equal to a 10W motor oil in viscosity.

Bottom line, i think the compensator ramps need EP additives. But I might be overthinking.

But, Barnett clutch says use ATF, Then use ATF. Period.

If I may add, that Barnett just saying to run "ATF" is a book of knowledge in itself. A perfect example is Honda saying it is OK to run Dextron ATF in their cage automatics. That is what they say in the Owners & Service manual.. But if you ever do, you will quickly see that is not a true statement..

When the car shifts, the clutch packs hit so hard the fillings in your teeth will come loose.!:)

If I may add, that Barnett just saying to run "ATF" is a book of knowledge in itself. A perfect example is Honda saying it is OK to run Dextron ATF in their cage automatics. That is what they say in the Owners & Service manual.. But if you ever do, you will quickly see that is not a true statement..

When the car shifts, the clutch packs hit so hard the fillings in your teeth will come loose.!:)

And Honda says to use there power steering fluids also, not just because of the higher flash point, I know, I replace a lot of pumps and racks that failed early IMO

Back