free website stats program At Wits End , Decel Popping/Backfiring | Harley Davidson Forums

At Wits End , Decel Popping/Backfiring

antrom

I have an 07 Road King Classic with a Big Sucker filter, Vance and Hines Dresser Ovals, and a PCV. I am at my wits end, the bike is popping/backfiring on decel. I had an exhaust leak between the muffler and the head pipe (fixed it). Jaime from Fuel Moto has sent me 3 different maps (to no avail). The popping persists whether I run the bike lean or rich. Yesterday, after I fixed the exhaust leak the
bike threw a couple of codes "p1353- front cyl no combustion, and u1097-Loss of speedometer serial data"
Also my fuel mileage has declined significantly, when the Power Comander was installed I initially got 27 mpg, I am currently getting 35 mpg with what is supposed to be a fairly lean map.

I am thinking that my timing may be off, but that is just a guess. Can anybody give me some advice, or maybe point me in the right direction ?

Claer the codes see if they come back if so work on them first after removing and installing the PC connections to make sure tis not a connection error the fuel milage you are getting is a joke .. I have true dual kit 2" baffels big sucker on a 08 rkc if i control the right hand i can get 40+ on highway round town again controlling the hand 34-39 ..

if your getting popping on decel why are they sending your leaner fuel maps?

I cleared the codes, but have not run the bike since. I will try that shortly. They sent the leaner maps to try and adress the fuel mileage ( they leaned it out at 0% throttle from 2500 rpms on up to try and adress the popping). A little more info, the bike was popping long before the codes showed up.

popping on decel is usually to lean or the exhust leak you had can cause it to .. how do plugs look etc.. like i said the mileage is way to low

Check you map and see if they timing has been fooled with in the Power commander

I haven't messed with the timing, I don't know why it may or may not be off. Just trying to think of possible causes. Checked the pc connections, and reconnected the unit. Going for a test ride shortly. I will post the results. How can I check the air cleaner for leaks ?

Plugs look fine, sort of a golden brownish color, a little black toward the end.

I sure do appreciate all of the input!

Last edited:
Checked the air cleaner and, rechecked the exhaust for leaks(none found), rechecked pc connections. Still getting the popping. Any suggestions?

I've got the PC V on my Street bob. I downloaded my maps from the PC V web site. You might want to check with them and see what they say. My street bob backfires once and a while, but not very often.

I have an 07 Road King Classic with a Big Sucker filter, Vance and Hines Dresser Ovals, and a PCV.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the PC-V for select 2009 Harleys only? On the web site it does not show maps for a 2007 RK for the PC-V. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.:eam

correct PCV is for 09 only you need the PCIII for 2007, give them time and im sure it will be available for the older versions

So this might be an issue since it is on a 2007 RK.:eam I know that fuelmoto sells retrofit units and they know what they are doing I was just wondering.

Last edited:
Back