free website stats program At what point am I laboring the engine too much | Harley Davidson Forums

At what point am I laboring the engine too much

GimmeFuel

As you can all see from my profile information, I have a 2004 Fatboy and thus has an 88 ci engine. At what speed in 5th would you guys say I am working the engine too hard? I will mostly cruise the interstate at 80-90 for about 30 mins. Too much?

Here is My take on it:

I would run my 2000 fxds TC 5 speed at 3000 RPM all day... No problem..

IF that is IF I used a good 20/50 fully synthetic oil in the engine. (NO syn 3 = SIN) I prefer FULLY synthetic.... Me=Redline/others=Spectro or Mobil 1 V-twin

I use a good tranny lube= Redline Shockproof Heavy---others use Spectro

Redline Primary or MTL in the clutch/chain case---others use Spectro primary

If the Oil tempurtures are Not too high like over 230* and engine remains cool at the high RPM, I would not worry about the 80/90 mph...for 30 minutes should do fine.
Oil temps of 240/285 I would Re think something .. Oil cooler? on the bike is a must.

signed....BUBBIE

If you hear no knocking or pinging and the bike will still pull good I think you are fine, I have no tach so I listen to my engine:s

I rode from Wisconsin to Phoenix this past August and it was no cooler then 90 degrees and 113 max. I was running 80 for countless tankfuls of gas. I have an oil cooler and temp gauge and it was all good. That is on a 99 ultra, 88CI with a 5 speed behind it.

Back