free website stats program asking for advice | Harley Davidson Forums

asking for advice

Mongrel

Account Removed
hey all i have a 1994 stock sporty 883 im rebuilding the top end myself as like most i dont have the $$$ for someone else to do it so i,ve decided to go with a 1200 kit on it as well as a 42mm mikuni carb, high flow air cleaner, screaming eagle duelfire coil, crane Hi-4 duelfire ignition and hooker groundpounder pipes all im asking is from you in the know am i heading in the right direction....???? i,ll take any advice i can get first time rebuild so im reading anything i can get my hands on and asking everyone for advice before i even take a bolt off.
many thanks
Mongrel

hey all i have a 1994 stock sporty 883 im rebuilding the top end myself as like most i dont have the $$$ for someone else to do it so i,ve decided to go with a 1200 kit on it as well as a 42mm mikuni carb, high flow air cleaner, screaming eagle duelfire coil, crane Hi-4 duelfire ignition and hooker groundpounder pipes all im asking is from you in the know am i heading in the right direction....???? i,ll take any advice i can get first time rebuild so im reading anything i can get my hands on and asking everyone for advice before i even take a bolt off.
many thanks
Mongrel

From what little I know it sounds like your getting ready to have a sweet running sporty!! Check out the self help section here on the forum and dont be afraid to ask your questions also!!! Do have a question for ya --- what size jets are in the mikuni? Good luck with her!!!!

From what little I know it sounds like your getting ready to have a sweet running sporty!! Check out the self help section here on the forum and dont be afraid to ask your questions also!!! Do have a question for ya --- what size jets are in the mikuni? Good luck with her!!!!

not sure on what jet size as im buying an easy kit so whatever jet it comes with i guess. im mechanicaly minded but this is the first time i,ve dealt with things like this.......
cheers

Don't know what your 1200 "kit" contains, but you should get some better cams if not included in the kit. Also some head work (by a professional) to help that increased air volume get in and out.

many thanks
Mongrel

The only question I would have, is why the dual fire ignition? I do not have any experience with the Crane HI-4, but I put a single fire multi-spark system (Spyke) on my Dyna when I redid it. The key is the dual fire or single fire coil(s), since the HI-4 may be selectable between dual and single fire. I just do not favor the "wasted spark" systems.

TQ

many thanks
Mongrel

I kept my rebuild from 883 to 1200 SIMPLE....

THIS IS WHAT JERRY BRANCH (BRANCH HEADS IN CALIF) SUGGESTED for MY low budget rebuild....

I wanted LOW END TORQUE and BOY DID IT HAVE THAT when finished.....
I used wiseco 10.5/1 pistons ( An 883= 3" piston a 1200=3.5"piston) a big difference!

BOT new HD 1200 cyl's barrels....
boring out the 883 is not practical $$$ (3" to 3.5") as i could BUY NEW 1200 cyl's from harley for LESS than a shop charged to bore them... and KNEW the cyl's from HD were properly done and ready to go...

LAPPED the valves by hand to clean and seal....(used stock 883 heads and not modified) they work really well with the wiseco pistons as they are built to work with the stock 883 heads

USING REGULAR STOCK HD carb...JETTED it properly(? 165/185 main?) and installed the OLD style-sized 1200 sporster NEEDLE ? part #?(stock needle from the older ? 1200) someone here will know the # and will let you know....TQ maybe?

PUT THAT all together and used (old style) scrm'n eagle exhaust slip-ons and scrm'n e air cleaner...

NOW MIND YOU ,,people will suggest CAMS but when I asked JERRY BRANCH " now how about cams?" HE YELLED " there you guys go again,,,,, wanting all that low end power then you go CAMING IT OUT!!!!!

JERRY BRANCH said "put it together like I said,, and break it in then GO find a POLE to climb...... THEN call me back!"

I went with the above and the only advice i give you IF YOU FOLLOW the ABOVE is

HOLD ON TIGHT WITH BOTH HANDS it will climb a pole......

YOU can pull up all my post under BUBBIE and WEED thru for the stories on my 1200 rebuild....

HOBBIT MAY weigh in her about the gear ratio change IF DESIRED of which the stock 883 was JUST RIGHT FOR ME....

HOPE THIS HELPS.... and don't forget to use the 30/60/30 X 10 times method for "breaking in a new motor" found under SELF HELP on this site.....

THIS WILL SEAT IN THE RINGS RIGHT THEN!

signed....BUBBIE

I think BUBBIE is is spot on with his post
the 1200 upgrade kit is designed to work with 883 heads and cams the main thing to work on is to ensure that the flow in and out is up to the higher capacity
a good full flow air filter the correct amount of fuel and a good exhaust system is what you need
i do like the mikuni hsr 42 its a nice carb
if you leave the gearing stock then youll get a lot of torque and the acceleration will scare you but the top speed will be lower than a factory 1200

enjoy

Brian

cheers all im smiling now something i learnt from all your answers is to do the valves im also changing the front sproket to a 29 tooth and as for the duelfire coil well i already have it and i dont think it,ll be a problem (i hope) the easy kit im getting contains new 1200 heads wiseco pistons at 10.5/1 compression .
i,ll look into jets and try to work out if what it comes with is all i need or something else.
Mongrel

Back