free website stats program As an exhaust ages? | Harley Davidson Forums

As an exhaust ages?

Jick Scott

Purchased my new Road King this past March, just had my 10,000 mile service this past Monday. My question is: as my stock exhaust system has aged, it sounds different, better in fact. Which has got me wondering.......how long can you expect an exhaust system to last before it needs to be replaced? I'm not a mechanic, don't want to be, and I'm sure there are many miles left on it. Questions just seem to pop into my head about things I'd like to ask about. Thanks for your time.

Well maintained and kept clean and free of corrosion, it ought to last as long as you own the bike.

I agree. I've only ever seen a few rusted out factory mufflers and those were on bikes with at least ten years and a lot of miles on them.

The factory mufflers do tend to take on a nicer rumble once they get a few miles on 'em.

My factory mufflers should pretty much last forever cause they sitting on a warm, dry shelf in the back of my garage.:D

Jick,
Seems like you may be ready for a mod.
It would be a good thing to put a nice pair of slipons. You would enjoy better sound and performance to boot..

The factory exhaust system should last a long time as it is made of quality stuff and put together well
thats to say my factory system is good and it is 19 years old but the silencers only get a run out once a year for mot inspection

Brian

Some exhaust do lose the fiberglass packing on the baffles with time. That is the reason for the change in sound. It can be replaced, or if you have an exhaust that is too loud you can quieten them by wrapping them with a fiberglass cloth.

Here is a link explaining what to do.
V-Tech Q&A (June 2009)

HTH,
Randall

Back