free website stats program Arlen Ness Big Sucker What's your opinion? | Harley Davidson Forums

Arlen Ness Big Sucker What's your opinion?

I found a Arlen Ness Big Sucker for stage 1 XL1200 for $50 never used. How good are these air cleaners. The only thing is there is no cover for it!

Have it on my Dyna, it is a solid air cleaner, with plenty of options for covers. Go get it. As Wildspirit said, it is a good deal too.

I have had TWO BIG-SUCKS on my 2006 HD roadster 1200** THE problem I've had was (2-fold)...

(one) BROKEN back-plate....? breaking out where the 3 long bolts hold the air filter and plate to the carb. (may have been flaws in the alum-casting??)

(two) OR caused by: threaded ends on the 3 LONG BOLTS.... weak & breaking-off at carb..

The 3 long bolts are made using DEEP allen headed set screws (weak at the spot they go into the long bolts & breaking-off there...) the bottom 2 broke off at the carb. held by the top bolt only... damage to carb and ? backplate resulted....

BUYING AGAIN new back-plate and new air cleaner$$$$ I modified the (3) new long bolts; by removing the threaded ends... I then installed SOLID STUD bolts at the carb........

(Looking at the 3 long premade bolts will show no sign of weakness untill you back-out the DEEP allen-head set-screws they use to make the "3 extention bolts").....

to prevent problems again.... I backed-out all three allen-headed screws...then using 3 solid 1/4" nc STUDS into carb.... this made the 3 long BOLTS into 3 long NUTS.... much stronger..

I have had no problems since.

signed....BUBBIE

I found a Arlen Ness Big Sucker for stage 1 XL1200 for $50 never used. How good are these air cleaners. The only thing is there is no cover for it!

I'm about to post about what I believe is a big sucker that came on the XLH I just bought.

The bike runs great, the problem is that I keep bashing my shins on the intake.

You might want to measure things and see where your legs will be before installing it.

2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back