free website stats program Arlen Ness Big Sucker install on a 08 | Harley Davidson Forums

Arlen Ness Big Sucker install on a 08

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Well today i put on the Big Sucker on my 08 Road King Classic ..
After picking up a o-ring they shorted me one but no biggy hardware store had the size they are small and thin..same as a Screaming eagle so if ya need one and ya got a hardware store like mine .39 per oring vs harleys .89

Ok nuff of that stuff.

Here we have the normal Football and air filter setup

010-1.jpg

Remove the cover for this pic

011-1.jpg

After removing the air filter your left with this

012-1.jpg

Bit oily no ?

Remove the breather hoses and hollow bolts to get down to the throttle body

015-1.jpg

Check this out i cleaned the throttle body with just WD and even with proper maintenance its amazing how much stuff makes it though the Air Filter

016-1.jpg

Here is the Big sucker backing plate install the oring's with some Grease now here according to the Directions you install the gasket on the backing plate one side is self stick .. not in my kit so little grease held it in place to ..

017-1.jpg

Heres the Filter

019-1.jpg

install the backing plate and leave the banjo bolts loose while tightening the
throttle body bolts down use Blue loctite on everything.. yes i got the drool cleaned up the pic help me see it

020-1.jpg

After that hang your Filter

021-1.jpg

Then look at the pile of parts you wont be using on the floor

023-1.jpg

Then put the stock football cover back on for now

024-1.jpg

All in all pretty simple about a 20-30 min install

Some things to think on a long Allen wrench set for the 3/8 drive ratchet also a long torx set makes it a lot easier on ya and of course ya need a Torque wrench and all ready mentioned Loctite ..

I forgot to get a side pic ill try to get one later or a few days

Also on this one you do not have to remove the support bracket for the throttle body

Here are the Allen Wrenches i was talking about
100_0145.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff Bud. Pictures are worth.........................................

What does the air filter in the Ness kit look like? My understanding is it's not K&N nor does the HD SE air kit use K&N anymore.

The Ness filter is made by Airaid and resembles the K&N in servicing and looks. It is in pics 7&9 above.

Ok somewhere some one asked does it hit your leg.. yes it dont but only when hugging the tank .. hey it was 36 degrees so yeah i hugged it ..

100_0236.jpg

Even with this setup when is just a front plate .. i didnt ride it with the football on at all

Hey Bud. Quick question. I have a Big Sucker that I'm going to install on my 09 RG. In the instructions, it says remove the wires connected to the electronic baffle. Is that what the connection and wires are attached behind the OEM air cleaner bracket when I reach behind it? (You can see the connection in your pic as well).

Thanks for the help!
Todd

Never mind. I better not disconnect the wires I spoke about as they control the butter fly w/ fly by wire throttle. Boy I need to pick up a manual... I'm so use to carbs and throtle cables. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
the baffel is only on calif bikes and international i believe .. sorry could respond soory that nasy thing work called

Thanks for the pics and the help, Bud. I put on my Big Sucker I today using the stock cover (I tried waiting for my new V&H pipes, but I couldn't wait any more). Such an easy install. I adjusted the TFI slightly (what a great item) and took the RG out for a quick ride for lunch. All I can say is "Wow!". The growl when you twist the throttle is amazing. I can't recall my 1200 Sport sounding like that.

I can feel the difference in the seat of the pants.

Thanks again!

Have fun and ride safe.
Todd

Back