free website stats program Are wood cams noisy? | Harley Davidson Forums

Are wood cams noisy?

Axeman

Buddy has been thinking about a set of wood cams for an 07 Softail, maybe the 6 or the 7 series, he has been told these might be noisy?

I very happy with the TW-6G installed in my '06 Heritage. As for noise, it depends on what you are expecting. They are not silent and can be heard if you want to listen for cam noise (turn your head out of the wind noise) but are certainly quieter than most performance pipes.

I think wood cams might be fairly quiet, at least until they splinter & break and when the motor explodes it might get noisy.:newsmile011: :laugh :s

sorry, new guy humor :D

I have a set of 408-6 cams in my 06 dyna, they do make noise at low rpm's but nothing that you can't live with especially once you twist the throttle!

I have a set of 408-6 cams in my 06 dyna, they do make noise at low rpm's but nothing that you can't live with especially once you twist the throttle!

REMEDY ABOVE IS RIGHT ON------ TWIST THE THROTTLE-----------------

THIS IS FINALLY A POST THAT I CAN PLACE THIS RAMP (pun intended) PET PEEVE OF MINE...

2006FXDCI HAS THE RIGHT THINKING IN MY BOOK!!!!!!!!

------ TWIST THE THROTTLE-----------------YES, JUST TWIST IT------

I come from the OLD SCHOOL and I LOVE IT TODAY WHEN i CAN HEAR the High Lift cams and the HOT engine that DOESN'T sound like a well oiled sewing machine.......

HECK, half of the FUN in the "old days" was LISTENING to that HOT MOTOR clank and stumble.....THEN twist the throttle of that hopped-up lightened flywheel motor.RRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMPPPP!!!

SEEMS TODAY, that MOST people want a HARLEY to SOUND QUIET..... are they EXPECTING TOO MUCH OF "NEW SCHOOL" AND FORGOT THE "OLD SCHOOL" DAYS ???.........

FOR ME, I just love to hear the rattle of the valve train LOPING and the associated NOISE that comes from a HIGH RISE CAM with a TOO QUICK a ramp UP then, a HASTY retreat...

I know,,, I know,,, ROLLER this and BEARING that and it should be quiet,,, EPA RULES,,, BUT MAN the SOUNDS of that HOT FAST BIKES of yesteryear really are missed by me..

I have had MANY bikes thru my growing-up with HARLEY.... I do enjoy MY NEWER harley of today... BUT SADLY it comes with the QUIETNESS expected of the bikes today....
MY NEW 09 FLHR is a prime example of what MODERN TECHNOLOGY has accomplished,,, QUIET yes I said QUIET,,,
A WAY TOO QUIET A BIKE AND OTHER RIDERS WANTING IT MORE QUIET YET...
the old days!

signed....BUBBIE

REMEDY ABOVE IS RIGHT ON------ TWIST THE THROTTLE-----------------

THIS IS FINALLY A POST THAT I CAN PLACE THIS RAMP (pun intended) PET PEEVE OF MINE...

2006FXDCI HAS THE RIGHT THINKING IN MY BOOK!!!!!!!!

------ TWIST THE THROTTLE-----------------YES, JUST TWIST IT------

I come from the OLD SCHOOL and I LOVE IT TODAY WHEN i CAN HEAR the High Lift cams and the HOT engine that DOESN'T sound like a well oiled sewing machine.......

HECK, half of the FUN in the "old days" was LISTENING to that HOT MOTOR clank and stumble.....THEN twist the throttle of that hopped-up lightened flywheel motor.RRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUMMMMMPPPP!!!

SEEMS TODAY, that MOST people want a HARLEY to SOUND QUIET..... are they EXPECTING TOO MUCH OF "NEW SCHOOL" AND FORGOT THE "OLD SCHOOL" DAYS ???.........

FOR ME, I just love to hear the rattle of the valve train LOPING and the associated NOISE that comes from a HIGH RISE CAM with a TOO QUICK a ramp UP then, a HASTY retreat...

I know,,, I know,,, ROLLER this and BEARING that and it should be quiet,,, EPA RULES,,, BUT MAN the SOUNDS of that HOT FAST BIKES of yesteryear really are missed by me..

I have had MANY bikes thru my growing-up with HARLEY.... I do enjoy MY NEWER harley of today... BUT SADLY it comes with the QUIETNESS expected of the bikes today....
MY NEW 09 FLHR is a prime example of what MODERN TECHNOLOGY has accomplished,,, QUIET yes I said QUIET,,,
A WAY TOO QUIET A BIKE AND OTHER RIDERS WANTING IT MORE QUIET YET...
the old days!

signed....BUBBIE

Right Bubbie love that sound too, like solids rattle rattle rattle twist the wick and make her fly

I just installed a set of TW7H's in my Ultra. Haven't ridden the bike YET; however, there is more valve train noise than w/ the 255's (sitting still). It's a trade-off, if you want aggressive power making cams you'll get some valve noise. I can't wait to ride the bike now that it's done and I'm expecting fantastic results.

I put a woods TW 6-6 in my 09 FLHTC with a new set of pipes and a 2-1-2 header and I am the envy at my local shop. Nothing sounds better than the rumble of the twins. If you want to stick with a quiet set up stick with the factory equipment. I can tell you that when I park next to a factory fresh ride I cant hear theirs at all...

I just upgraded to 95" and cams and you definitely hear the cams and lifters but that is to be expected when you have more lift. I kinda like the sound, but you can't hear the cams once you twist the throttle he he

Back