free website stats program Are we Harley's Riders are that bad?. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are we Harley's Riders are that bad?.

about a month ago I was at a mall where some patrons were dining outside, my MC was parked right next to them. I kind of warned them (almost apologetically) that my bike is kind of loud when I first start it. The woman said, "wow, I didn't expect that... thanks." We then ended up chatting for a couple minutes before I pulled away. I truly think that these acts of goodwill will someday translate to people being more aware/cautious/courteous of us on the road.

Oh yeah, and whenever possible, buy lemonade from kids selling it on the corner.... it's good karma!

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
about a month ago I was at a mall where some patrons were dining outside, my MC was parked right next to them. I kind of warned them (almost apologetically) that my bike is kind of loud when I first start it. The woman said, "wow, I didn't expect that... thanks." We then ended up chatting for a couple minutes before I pulled away. I truly think that these acts of goodwill will someday translate to people being more aware/cautious/courteous of us on the road.

Oh yeah, and whenever possible, buy lemonade from kids selling it on the corner.... it's good karma!

regards,
Drew

Hey, I just remembered from reading your note, my first encounter with "The '04 "Sporty w/ Attitude"...previous owners description...READ "Straight Drag Pipes" I now own. He walked out with us standing only a couple of feet in front of a metal & glass porch 1/2 enclosed dealership he worked at, and just firing it up. I remember both of us jumping back along with my hair standing on the back of my neck. I had visions of "the ground trembling, trees falling over, women & children running & screaming to clear the streets...!" just before settling down, riding it around for 10 minutes & actually buying it!:newsmile093:

Yeah...real good job with PR, and the near bystander warning;:bigsmiley8:

Last edited:
We tend to embrace some of that bad boy attitude, after all, the ladies love a bad boy but with the cost of a scooter these days, HD demographics say that the guy or girl riding will have an above average income and will be a little older. Professional people particularily enjoy putting the suit away and getting the black t our and riding because it makes us think we're rebels.
I too won't fire up the bike if a "civilian" is standing behind me or is next to me with the window down. I generally try ot leave a good impression and then some hoser comes along brapping the throttle on his straight pipes unnecessarily and there goes the good will.

Bubba

I have an elderly neighbor that lives about 300 feet from my driveway. Not very friendly. Never returns waves. His wife is the same. She always looks at me like I killed her favorite puppy. About a year ago I sold my Sportster and bought the Softail I'm riding now. It's got V&H Short Shots and is a lil louder than the Sportster. The second time I rode it with the new pipes the neighbors both came out to the driveway and waved me down. My first thought was this going to be a complaint. Boy was I ever wrong. They both raved about the new bike and the engine sound, they said due to health issues they had sold their Harley and 30's Indian a few years before. Now everytime I go past their place I give them a lil rev instead of a wave and always get big smiles and waves in return. You never know.

"Time to start a new ride national take you HD to church day :)[/QUOTE]

At my Church, there are six of us who ride our Harleys every Sunday and park out front so anyone riding by knows "God loves bikers too". We have had a few stop in to see what we are all about.One more way to spread "The Word".:small3d005:

I agree. The crouch rockets are giving us a bad image. Not all. And I don't mean the bike. I mean the 20 year old riding like an idiot in and out of traffic. That's what gives us bikers who are curtious and cautious a bad name. Us bikers wear black leathers, black gloves, black t-shirts. And a post early, a little blood ha ha. The thing is, they all would like to ride and wish they could ride a Harley. I get the jealosy looks at work when I ride my bike in wearing jeans and black. They love it, they just don't act like it.

It is a funny world. Me and my significant other (she has her own ride, an 05 Fatboy, and yes everyone says' she has two fatboys, me being the other) and 3 friends went to the Grand Canyon last fall and at one of our stops a non american family wanted to take pictures with us and our bikes. Yes we were all drapped in black leather from head to toe. What a hoot. Probably showed all there friends back home the pictures of them with the American biker gang.

I think this guy probably just made a comment to be friendly.

But, let's face it, even though most people know you "shouldn't judge a book by it's cover" people still do. The image of the bad ass biker is carried forward by movies, the media, and probably to the greatest extent by bikers themselves. I think a lot of us want to be different and slightly BAD in our look. That's cool....nothing wrong with it, but not surprising that the general public is a little intimidated. I met a guy at my work, stood about 6'5" all decked out in tats and iron bracelets, biker boots, biker shades etc. We later referred to him as the Gentle Giant, because he was the nicest guy, but hey, upon meeting him even I was intimidated by his look.

I am not BAD. I drive a sidecar with a wife and a puppy in the hack, wear a old style half dome helmet and a smile under my goggles. People wave at us and seem to have no problem approaching and talking to us at all. I like that.

Each to his/her own.

Back