Are there larger fuel tanks for sportsters?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by cromwell, Sep 30, 2012.

1. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

Ok was looking and did not find anything larger than the stock 4.5 gallon tank. Are there larger tanks avail? I am looking for something that would put me into the 150 mile per tank range. That way when I ride with the baggers and cruisers I can stop with them for fill ups instead of me having them stop for me to fill up.

Thanks

Tony

2. chappy99

chappy99 Member

4.5 gal should give you 150 miles with no problem.

3. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

I wish. My stock Sportster maxes out at 130 Miles per tank and then I am walking. Since the day I bought it it has NEVER gotten over that usually less. The low fuel line usually comes on at around the 90 mile mark and I usually have a gallon left. I have measured it mulitiple times and the max I have gotten is 130 mile to the tank. Bike was bought new in Florida and spent its first year there then I moved here. Thought it was a fuel thing switching from a high octane to the low standard octane here but nope still get the same milage.

4. chappy99

chappy99 Member

Wow,my 1200 gets 50 on the highway easy.
    I do not remember seeing any tanks bigger than 4.5,you could have it cut and
    widened but you know what you get into doing that.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

As 4.5 us gallon is around 17 litres i would expect on any of my bikes to be well over 150 miles before i ran out of fuel
    However all my bikes are carbed bikes but your 29 mpg does seem a wee bit excessive fuel consumption
    Perhaps a look at the tuning of the bike would be the best way to get extra miles per tank

Brian

6. CoreyV

CoreyV Member

What if any mods have been made to the bike?? I have a 2010 1200c with Stage one and get about 38 to the gallon and I ride it pretty hard when i can.

7. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

@ CoreyV my bike is bone stock.... As said it never got more then 130 mile per tank max. I do not ride it like I stole it. The only thing I can think of that is effecting my fuel range is me fully geared up I am sitting at approx 220 lbs.

8. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

Geez! :small3d031:
    My wife has 883 sportster superlow and maxes out alittle over 200 miles. The low fuel light comes out approximately 150 miles. Something is wrong... Too rich? too much throttle? :eam:small3d002:

9. cromwell

cromwell Active Member

The 883 was advertised as getting close to 60 mile to gallon when I bought my 1200 custom. Thought about the 883 but it felt underpowered when I test drove it. Too much throttle, you have not driven on Irish roads.. My mother-in-laws corrolla with the 1.4 liter, 5 speed tranny gets better gas milage then my bike. As for me I stand 5'8'' and approx 210lbs. Then you add riding gear and a backpack I sit about 220-230lbs and in the winter that will climb to 250-260... yep she is my daily ride. The only time is not ridden is IF there is actual ice on the roads. Last year I had her out when the temps were in the 0-5 degree F.

10. chappy99

chappy99 Member

When it is that cold what weight engine oil do you use. 0 to 5 degree f