free website stats program Are dealers willing to haggle over price? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Are dealers willing to haggle over price?

Hey, we are talking about alot of money here. What I paid for my 08 FatBob, my Dad spent less on his first house. Matter a fact, about 5000 less. The exictment and pleasure of buying a new bike is just that. Your happy with the results and the monthly payment. I used to sell cars. You'd be surprised how many people would come in and pay sticker price not knowing they can haggle. Would we tell them the price could be lower, heck no. Remember, service it worth alot. If your pleased with what you see and what you've been told about the service and help you'll recieve, then I would pay slightly more and buy the bike from a dealer I know will back the warranty, then say I got a great deal, but have a problem getting it serviced. My dealer called me twice after I bought my bike. Once about a week after, and then about 2 months later. Ask if everything was o.k. and if he could do anything for me. Now that in it's self will make me go back to this dealer first for a price on my next bike. Service, Service, Service.

Around here it is MSRP. The dealers will cut out freight and dealer prep if pushed. Doc fees is where they make money also. My closest dealer has a doc fee of $399. I drove a little further and it was $175. They can also deal on finance rates. The higher the rate they give you the more that HD pays them. I was able to get 6.49% on my '09 Ultra and if I have the loan for at least 90 days the dealer gets $150 from HD. At 8.49% they would get $1200.

I purchased a 2009 Black Ultra Classic Feb. 24 out the door for $20,443.92. Dealer paid the tax and I can take the tax off of next year's income tax. Did not find any dealer around that even came close to the price I paid. It has everything on it except for Anti-lock brakes which I did not want. Dealer I bought from was 3 hours away. Well worth the trip to save $4,400.00 compaired to the local dealers around here.

Tim :)

Tell your salesman that you can't do MSRP. If they tell you thats where they start...walk away.There are dealers that'll be happy to deal. You just gotta find one you're comfortable with. I got $1500 off msrp and 25% of all my accessories plus 15% off all future purchases as long as my warranty is in force (7 yrs).

Be there tomorow, what dealership was that?

Last month I visited four dealers within a 20-mile radius. All four were not willing to deal on either new or used bikes, sticker price was sticker paid.

I let them know I was serious, was shopping local dealers, and had already sold my Sportster so was ready. They all smiled and watched me walk out the door. I even had a specific inquiry on a used Fat Bob that just came in the door but not yet priced. I gave them my contact information but did not get as much as a follow-up email or phone call.

The dealers probably smelled that I was an extreme elcheapo and did not want to waste their time. So I bought my ex-Police RK for $6350 from the City of Texarkana. Guess they were right.

This weekend I did the Super Ride and the dealer actually offered a $1000 gift card with a bike purchase. They must be getting desperate.

Used to be a time that when I went in to buy something I would make sure I took a wallet full of $100. and $1000. bills and I could barter all I wanted.Times have changed,that only works at swap meets.If you want a dealer to barter with you fill out a credit application with HD,get approved,then barter.They make more money on financed sales.When you have reached the price you are comfortable with tell them to print up the sales order. After it is printed hand them a money order or cash (I prefer cash) and tell them you changed your mind on the financing.:D

Shopping an 09 Ultra Glide this week. I made a page identifying the bike and extras. With a list price is 21000 plus 800 ABS plus 2000 in accessories/pipes etc. My local dealer is at 22,600. I am going to fax my sheet to several dealerships and request quotes from each.

Considering the 2010s are around the corner, economy, etc. What do you consider to be a fair price for a bike listing at $23,800 ???

I welcome any ideas.

Thanks
Bob

When I was looking for my 09 1200C I shopped 4 dealers. The best deal I got was MSRP, no set up or delivery charge, a HD detachable Windshield for $280.00 and 10% off any purchase for a year. And a bunch of goodies thrown in, like 4 T-Shirts, fingerless gloves, and for that day only a helmet at dealers cost. I liked the deal and I will buy my next bike there even if the economy is going strong and the dealers aren't this hungry.

Back